Oximeter - Sleep as Android

How did you specifically select “galaxy watch” for heart rate monitoring and go2sleep for o2? Where are those settings? Can’t see them in mine - any chance you could screen grab?

There must have been a recent update because the functionality vanished where all the data was in SAA. So now I do SAA at night with the Go2Sleep ring. The O2 data doesn’t show up in SAA but imports into the SleepOn app that goes with Go2Sleep. I noticed that the description for Go2Sleep in the SAA app now has “EXPERIMENTAL” in the description so something changed.

Anyway, this is how I did it.

If you’re doing it for the first time, here are the steps. (Note that I use the Android version of the app. I don’t know if it’s different for Mac.)

First off, download the Go2Sleep AddOn app and install it. Once it’s on your phone, launch it and start the Addon service at the bottom of the page. It should identify your device by its MAC address (six pairs of alpha-numeric characters divided by colons.) Once that’s done go to SAA.

1. Go to Settings
  2. Go to “Wearables” and select “Use Wearables”
  3. Select Go2Sleep.
  4. Go back to “Wearables” and scroll down
  5. Under Heart Rate Monitoring, select “Wear OS, etc.” if you plan to you your watch like I do.
  6. Under “Breath Rate Monitoring”, check “Pulse Oximeter” and a pop-up will ask if you want to use your Go2Sleep ring. Select “Yes”
  7. Go back to “Use Wearables” and go to the bottom of that menu and select “Automatic”.

That’s how I got mine to work last week but it seems to be broken again. Not sure why. I’m fiddling around with settings so see if I can catch the right settings again. In the meantime, I use both apps to monitor all my data. I would use the SleepOn app by itself but it does not records sounds and doesn’t seem to be as accurate as SAA in terms of sleep time. It does, however, record a AHI stat that indicates periods of sleep apnea, although I’m not sure how accurate that is.

Thanks for the excellent step by step guide! This should be added to the official documentation! :slightly_smiling_face:
So my SAA didn’t pop up asking if I wanted to use the go2sleep extension. I guess that’s the part that is broken? I have the latest beta - can you check if that is what has stopped working?
I find the go2sleep ring to be inaccurate somewhat when worn as a ring (which I prefer). It’s better with the fingertip cover but I don’t like wearing it like that. Most likely it’s due to the opaque cover, not the finger placement itself. I have found that it matches my other oximeters if I tape it up with opaque tape, but is much more irregular with the translucent holder (between 5 and 10 percentage points lower at times!).

I’m not actually part of the SAA team. I’m just another user. If you have the Go2Sleep Addon, does it connect to the Go2Sleep ring? If it does, I assume the ring should show up in the SAA app. :thinking:

Yes I understand (about not being part of the SAA team)! :slight_smile:
Yes have the Go2Sleep Addon and it connects to my Go2Sleep ring. It’s just not doing a pop up when I select Pulse Oximeter. Can you test that on your SAA version? That may be the issue (it’s not selecting the o2 wearable)?

Try selecting just the Go2Sleep in the wearables instead of “automatic.” Once the app recognizes it initially, I think it stores the MAC value. I’ll test later tonight but every time I use the app, the MAC value shows up even if the Go2Sleep isn’t connected.

Did you select the Pulse Oximeter Bluetooth setting? That can connect to the go2sleep ring but it won’t actually do anything as it uses the bluetooth smart protocol (that is the intention anyway). It would just record the MAC address and display it when you start tracking, but it will not process any data. Maybe that’s the issue you have encountered?

My issue is I am trying to use a light phaser, accelerometer or sonar with the go2sleep addon and it doesn’t work as all data (including actigraphy) seems to be tied into the wearable API component when any wearable is selected.

I’m still trying to find the right settings through the right setup as I can’t seem to get all of them to work on SAA. I may look into the “Automate” app to see if I can figure out a sequence that will work. The “Use Wearables” menu does provide that option so it’s work a try.

You need the go2sleep “sleep as android” add on to get data from the go2sleep ring. The sleepon app is not accessed by SAA.

@petr-urbandroid Is there a technical reason that add-ons such as the one for the Go2Sleep ring cannot be used in conjunction with the built-in device accelerometer or sonar function for movement tracking? If I could use the native SAA movement tracking functionality with third-party add-ons that don’t supply movement data, that would really help bridge the gap.

@zaventh yes this is a bigger rewrite as at moment the app either uses a wearable tracker or an on phone tracker… one reason we did not yet do this is not just the rewrite but also the complexity of UX imagine you have a matrix of devices and measures you want to track and you select combinations from that matrix in the worst case…

But we maybe we can think about some simple hack to allow this, like Wearable mode: Additional or something like that… although not sure how to communicate this to not introduce yet another confusing option…

What about the light phaser in combination with another wearable? The LP is a bluetooth smart device - but it seems to be treated as a native on phone component and overrides wearables device such as the go2sleep addon. On the other hand, it doesn’t interfere with other bluetooth smart HR or SPO2 devices. I think the “Wearable mode: Additional” would be an exciting workaround. If I understand correctly, it would enable the go2sleep ring to be used for spo2 & hr in conjunction with sonar or the light phaser?

@petr-urbandroid May I ask you to add “com.chakaponden.sleepasandroid.o2ring” package name as “O2Ring addon” to SAA Wearables menu?

I’ve just released O2Ring SAA addon on Google Play.

1 Like

Hello Den, many thanks. Great news… I’m adding this to the next BETA which is scheudled for release on Monday…

1 Like

OMG! This is amazing! :slight_smile:
I’ll be trialling this on Monday! Did Wellue provide any assistance or did you reverse engineer the data stream?
@petr-urbandroid I imagine I’ll have the same issues using my light phaser for movement with this for HR and SPO2?

Yes, Wellue team shared BLE protocol with me

Do you know if they send HRV R-R and Perfusion Index data? Also movement data?

No they don’t

Hi Den,
As you’ve got the chance to use both sensors - O2Ring and Go2Sleep.
Which one do you prefer most?
Seeing the specs I would prefer Go2Sleep as it supports also movement tracking. But I’m not sure if it’s accurate enough and how does it compare with O2Ring.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, Go2Sleep ring vendor ask me to pay 8000 USD for adding movement data streaming to their device.
Only after that I can integrate Go2Sleep ring movement into SAA.

I develop all plugins for free in my spare time.
I’m not sure I’m ready to pay Go2Sleep vendor this money.

In theory O2Ring has to be more accurate because it use through measurement and Go2Sleep is less accurate because it use reflection measument.

1 Like