Oximeter - Sleep as Android

Hi Den
Have you been able to test the o2ring add on in SAA?

2 Likes

Hey everyone, not sure if anyone posted this before, but I found the LILYGOĀ®TTGO Heart Rate Programming Kit ESP32 WIFI Bluetooth IPS 0.96 LCD.

It looks like a perfect platform for custom (and cheap!) ā€œsmartā€ oximeter. It uses ESP32, so itā€™s wifi and BT enabled and could be programmed in ArduinoIDE (or micropython etc., if you want).

Question is, what protocol it should implement, but some BLE compliant HR and SpO2 broadcast should be pretty easy to implement.

Looks interesting - the only problem with these types of devices is how to wear them when youā€™re asleep. Clamp devices are bulky and easily knocked off. Maybe some kind of sleeve to keep it on your finger could work?

I have compared both rings to 5 other oximeters, both at home and in medical environments and o2ring is by far more consistent with other medical devices. go2sleep tends to spike down when worn as a ring, sometimes by more than 10 points (eg 85% vs other devices that show 95%). When worn on the fingertip it is much better but still not as accurate as the o2ring. It may be possible to improve accuracy with some averaging and filtering but go2sleepā€™s manufacturer doesnā€™t appear to be interested in this kind of update.

1 Like

My galaxy watch 3 does work, but itā€™s not listed :thinking:

Hello Frederik, at the moment Samsung does not allow 3rd party apps to access SPO2 from the oximeterā€¦ but we would like to implement this as soon as they add itā€¦

2 Likes

My Fitbit recently updated and canal monitor my SPO2. Does that automatically integrate with my Fitbit wearable being attached to the program? Or do I need to do something else? Or is it not yet available for integration with this wonderful app?

Hey! When will the O2 ring be available in the wearable menu? I downloaded the latest beta and Denā€™s O2 ring addon, but still canā€™t find it.

@kimchirob Oh sorry my badā€¦ Iā€™m adding it for the next BETA releaseā€¦

Hi Den, Iā€™m finding that the go2sleep add-on doesnā€™t always shut down after I end tracking. It seems to be running in the foreground after saa has stopped. I havenā€™t noticed the same issue with the o2ring version.

To be honest, both addons use the same code base. Thatā€™s strange that you have an issue with only one device

Yeah I thought that was the case. Will keep an eye out and report back when I catch it.

Does Samsung give us its customers a way to yes, please/ upvote this feature request?

Hello @Den, Iā€™m now looking if there is an easy way to allow people use one of your integrations like O2Ring or similar (which provides just HR/SPO2 but not actigraphy) in parallel with some other wearable. For instance @Michael mentioned he woudl liek to use Wear OS with O2Ring or Go2Sleep if Iā€™m correctā€¦

If you look at https://docs.sleep.urbandroid.org/devs/wearable_api.html#initiating-connection-to-phone what if those add-ons that do not implement actigraphy - they will be use on top of other wearable impleemntation wonā€™t implement the com.urbandroid.sleep.watch.CONFIRM_CONNECTED intent response?

In this case we will leave it to Samsung, Wear OS or some other wearable to do the actigraphy, the O2Ring or GO2Sleep add-on still gets notified of sleep tracking start and end so it knows when to read for instance SPO2 data for the device?

I know this isnā€™t the nicest solution and I will think wbout how to better combine multiple wearables, but IMHO this is a super simple change which would allow guys to experiment with multiple devices using your add-ons? What do you think @Den ?

1 Like

To still allow to track just with e.g. O2Ring we can add an EXTRA into the com.urbandroid.sleep.watch.CHECK_CONNECTED intentā€¦ something like com.urbandroid.sleep.watch.EXTRA_MULTIPLE or similarā€¦ so if the Add-on would receive this and does not provide actigraphy it would not respond with com.urbandroid.sleep.watch.CONFIRM_CONNECTED?

What do you think @Den?

1 Like

This is bad solution from software design perspective. Like dirty hotfix probably.
Have you already tried it with multiple devices?

1 Like

Hi Petr

My preference would be to use the o2ring or go2sleep for hr/spo2 only (as that is all they can report) and another sensor for actigraphy. My first preference for actigraphy would be the light phaser but when/if that isnā€™t possible, a gear os watch as you suggested. Even sonar would be useful - right now those two add ons donā€™t report movement, so sleep tracking isnā€™t possible.

Iā€™d be happy to help test any updates.

Hello,
I have tried the O2 Ring Add On on Samsumg T580 tablets and was unable to get it to work.

I then tried a Samsung J2 Mini (mobile phone) and it works just fine. This kind of makes sense as I was unable to get the original Vitawotsit O2ring App to work on the Samsung Tablets but it works fine on the mobile phone.

Sometimes the bluetooth connection on the phone seems to fail when I start sleep tracking but all I have to do is switch the phone off and on again and it all works fine giving me HR and SpO2 all night long. The phone does the same thing with the Polar HR belt and switching the phone off and on again fixes whatever the problem is.

@Den Den, Many thanks for all of your efforts to get the O2 Ring working with your Add On App.

Hello @Den, yes of course ti is a hack, but a proper solution with our schedule isnā€™t any time near, so to give users who want to experiment with this some way to do it I will implement this hack on Sleep as Android sideā€¦

2 Likes

@Den would you give me please a list of your add-ons which do not provide actigraphy, but they provide HRV or SPO2? Big thanksā€¦