Samsung Watch 4

Hi guys,

I’m very big fan of your applications and using Sleep as Android almost from beginning. I was using it stand alone, then with Miband 2,3,4,5, later with Galaxy Active and yesterday my new Samsung Watch 4 arrived.

My question is: are you currently working on integrating the new Samsung along with your app? Above all, I am very keen on noiseless wake-up and heart rate control.

It looks like app’s connecting with watch, I’m receiving vibration feedback from it but the functions described above do not work. I would appreciate your answer!

Hello @debileq18, I just found some place where I could order the GW4 in my country so it should arrive in 2 days…

As a Wear OS watch I would expect everything should work as expected, although we did not test the app on a Wear 3.0 yet - because of lack of hardware of course…

In the Settings > Wearables you should be having the Wear OS option enabled and ignore the link to the Google Wear OS app… BTW do you know which app is used by Samsung to connect to the watch? We would liek to create a special entry for GW4+ in the Wearable selection list and offer and check for the right package…

Out of top of my head I do not see why vibration would work after starting sleep tracking, but not during the alarm in the morning…

Regarding HR, did you enable SPO2 tracking? At the moment on Wear OS this is either HR / HRV or SPO2…

Thank you for your fast response!

I’ve just made some more test without sleeping (I’m at work right now, so I shouldn’t even try) and it looks like silent alarm is vibrating only once - one single bip and not constant like it should. This is why it didn’t wake me up this morning. The watch screen does not light up and sleep tracking on the watch becomes disabled.

For connection it uses Galaxy Wearable. Wear OS from Google don’t even see this watch.

Hello @debileq18, we use gentle vibration to find the lead annoying vibration pattern which is able to weke you… It starts with a single vibe, another in 30s, than again in 20s and so on. After few minutes the vibrations will be continuous. IMHO you need to keep it a little bit longer…

Yes, it is like you said but I was used to the MiBand solution. It would be great if you could adjust the vibration interval in the app.

Second thing the watch screen does not light up and sleep app on it is not active during alarm. When I enter to watch app during alarm, dismiss and snooze button are there (although in my opinion the snooze button should be significantly larger than the dismiss).

That’s it then, although I’m hoping to add the options I wrote about in near future. Thank you very much for your help!

Hello @debileq18, we use this gentle vibration in all our integration, but Mi Band is integrate by 3rd party either Zdenek Horak of Tools & Mi Band or Matteo of Notify & Fitness and they use their own implementation of the vibration - honestly I do not even know how their vibration pattern looks like and it probably differs even between those two apps…

During the alarm there should be an alarm notification in the list of all notifications with the snooze / dismiss actions… but as I did not yet had GW4 in hards I’m not sure whether Samsung applied any modifications to how Wear OS displays such notifications…

In general on Wear OS - which is basically Android, it is mot possibelto start any screens from background without a specific - draw over other apps permissions - this is quite a heavy permission to the question si whether the app should ask for it and if we can explaint o users that we need it just to show the alarm screen when alarm starts…

Many thanks for your feeedback on this

Hello @debileq18, my GW4 arrived and I’m testing it right now… it seems that differently from other Wear OS watches to be able to see the notifications to control tracking and alarms you need to got to the Samsung Wearable app on your phone > Watch settings > Notifications > More > Blocked on watch > Sleep as Android > check…

It seems for some reason most notifications are by default blocked…

Doing this will give you the following notifications which help you control sleep tracking and alarms

device-2021-08-25-132918 device-2021-08-25-132909 device-2021-08-25-132840 device-2021-08-25-132832

–Also I was able to make the SPO2 sensor working on the GW4 I will be releasing the APK to BETA soon…–

UPDATE: I spoke too soon, I was getting SPO2 data from my TicWatch 3 Pro a it was still conected as a second node during the test… but I was able to get HR data is Oximeter on Wear OS was disabled in Settings > Wearables…

2 Likes

I tried all the 3 sensor below:

Samsung VO2 Sensor=69675;
Samsung SPO2 Manual Sensor=69677;
Samsung SPO2 Continuous Sensor=69678;

But it seems none of them can be registered for updates from a 3rd party app…

But I have a fix which will allow HR racking on GW4 even when Oximeter is enabled…

i’ve got no SpO2 data from watches even in native SH app =) don’t know why… enabled it in SH on watches to measure it during sleep but still no data in sleep report (=

upd.
i was wrong) i’ve got updated report and now it have SpO2 in it
finally

Hi folks, I’m adding support for ongoing notification which is a new feature in Wear OS 3.0… so that you can access tracking controls and alarm more easily on Galaxy Watch 3…

I’m releasing this and the further updates from today into the BETA channel…

Please first join our BETA Testers group at:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/sleep-as-an-droid
That you can opt-into the BETA at the following address:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.urbandroid.sleep
Or simply by visiting our Play Store listing and tapping “Join BETA”

After that you should be starting receiving latest BETA updates through the Play Store including the update on the watch…

If there is any issue I’m also publishing the the wear app APK 4.7 at https://sleep.urbandroid.org/more/download/

This is how the ongoing notifications, the small icon at the bottom of the screen…
device-2021-08-25-165955

1 Like

Hello petr-urbandroid,

I hope you enjoy GW4 so much as me! This night I was testing lately beta version of Sleep as Android and unfortunatelly battery of the watch was drained from 97% and run out within 3 hours. Before sleeping I checked that pulse measurment was working. And wasn’t able to check other stuff because I fell a sleep within 3-5 minutes.

my watches also died in 4 hours last night)

Regarding battery life, the sensor batching queue - which allows the watch to sleep before we get next sensor batch update is very small on the GW4… for a comparison we get 2000 queue size on TicWatch 3 Pro but only 300 events on GW4… but still even on Wear OS watches with small batching queue we never had over ~40% battery consumption per night of tracking (with bigger queue we get 10% per night without HR and double probably with HR tracking)…

Yesterday I only managed a 4 hour test and my GW4 consumed 33% of battery which is quite high… To interpolate this I expect it would consume 57% battery per nigh of tracking…

I will try a whole nigh tracking today. What would be worth trying is to disable HR tracking - and see what impact this will have on battery life…

For the next version available through Play Store BETA channel or at https://sleep.urbandroid.org/wp-content/uploads/release/wear-prod-release-4.7.apk
I’m adding a Tile foe easier access to sleep tracking and alarm controls:
device-2021-08-27-111023

Also there are two little changes which may slightly improve battery life…

1 Like

I’ve slept 3 nights without HR and it looks like ~10-12% consumption for 7:00-7:30 hours of sleep. So this is totally acceptable.

@debileq18 big thanks for the update… maybe the battery consumption issue is related to the HR sensor… in the version I have just released I have reduced the sampling rate on HR… so hopefully this will make GW3 usable also with HR on…

yes
without HR it’s drain not much
but 70% was drained from 3:30 to 7:16 =) on classic 46mm
today i’ve recived new firmware update
gonna check tracking at this night from 100% charging

Whenever I press on Galaxy watch 4+ from the settings it just takes me to an error page on the play store. When I return to the sleep app, Galaxy Watch 4+ is unchecked. I don’t know how I’m supposed to enable it from the settings page.

1 Like

I am happy to help any testing as well and love my new Watch 4 Classic. That said, Sleep as Android is indispensable for me (I’ve been using it for almost a decade now), but it doesn’t seem to be playing well with the watch at all yet.