Fitbit Ionic/Versa beta integration

Yes. I still have troubles to connect, too.
Sometimes works, sometimes not. I have no idea about the reason.

I had an issue last night for the first time since installing; however I think it was more related to the fact that my fitbit hadnā€™t synced since the previous afternoon. Once I resolved that the Versa 2 connected again.

Since the last 8 days I have no big issues.
The fitbit ionic is connecting, sometimes with little troubles, but finally it works.
So far Iā€™m pleased. :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™m really glad. Iā€™m going to do another round of digging around and try to finally get the app on the Fitbit gallery - last time they declined it since the reviewers werenā€™t able to initiate the connection at all.

1 Like

Latest version works really well, but most of the time I have to close companion app manually on my Versa.

And I still want to be able to see current heart rate on the app :grin::wink:

2 Likes

Right, Iā€™ll try to fix the first one and add the second one.

2 Likes

Yes, Iā€™m with @Humlan. The app works well the last days.
I have to close the companion app on my Ionic, too.

We got the fix for having to close the watch app after alarm in the latest release of Sleep as Android. So once you get a new version of Sleep as Android (the phone app) it should start closing on its own.

Iā€™ll be releasing the HR value showing on the watch today.

2 Likes

I published the new version 1.8:

• latest HR value (5 min aggregate, this is what is sent to Sleep as Android) showing on the watch
  • better handling of state when you start the app on watch while tracking is already running on the phone

Also submitted for Fitbit review, fingers crossedā€¦

1 Like

Great job.
I like the new design of the companion app.
It connects and ends as supposed.
The only thing, i was wondering, was at startup from the companion app.
After start I got a blank black screen. If I hit the menu button on my Ionic it shows me the announcement to end the companion app.
When I abort and start the sleep app, all is working like expected.

I will keep on testing. :wink:

Over the last couple of nights, Iā€™ve been having issues. When the companion app starts, i get a heart icon but it just says null. Is this normal? And then halfway through the night the companion app closes and switches to sonar, effectively flatlining my data. Do I need to have the beta phone app? Thanks.

Edit: the ā€˜nullā€™ went away after about five minutes I checked this after reading that you said you display the five minute aggregate. :sunglasses:

Iā€™ll run it again overnight tonight and see how it performs. Still wondering if just having the latest release version of Sleep (which I have 20200228) will work with this since my companion app updated early this week. Or will I need a beta? Thanks.

Recently the app has been working well for me.

Just a few usability kinks:

• When opening the watch app it displays ā€œnullā€ instead of a heart rate. I Think on the standard watchface it just displays ā€œā€“ā€ in that case, which is a little more user friendly than the technical term null.
  • In the lower part on the watch app the wakeup time is displayed. However right now my next alarm is over two days away (which the phone app clearly states) but on my watch it looks like it would wake me up tomorrow (which it correctly wonā€™t)
  • When the alarm vibrates on my watch I always think it should be possible to turn it off using the right side buttons on the watch. (I think the optics of having the rounded onscreen buttons kinda flow outside the right side of the screen makes me think that) However that does not seem to be the case. Would that be possible to implement?
  • When the alarm rings and no more snoozing is allowed (snooze limit set) the watch still shows the snooze button as available, I just canā€™t figure out why itā€™s not working until I see that fact on my actual phone)

The latest release version is the correct one, you do not need beta. But what you have is not the latest release - we have released a new one recently but itā€™s on staged rollout. You can get it faster from http://sleep.urbandroid.org/more/download/

Big thanks for the notes! Iā€™ll fix all of this for the next update.

2 Likes

So far it works well and good.
The only thing I could mention is that the companion app is not closing automatically after finish the alarm and exiting the sleep app.
I have to close it manually in 4 of 5 times.

@Martin_Strell, this should be fixed in the latest release of Sleep as Android (the phone app) - but that one is on staged rollout so will be available to you over time. Or if you are getting beta updates, itā€™s fixed in there as well.
You can also get the latest Sleep as Android from our website at http://sleep.urbandroid.org/more/download

2 Likes

Thanks. I will check againā€¦

I just downloaded beta version and oh boy does it work. I am just stunned by how it works so seamlessly now! Really appreciate your hard work. :slight_smile:
Thanks and stay safe, mate.

1 Like

OK, that seems to have worked but I have to use a specific sequence to get this going. Start up SaA, then start the companion app on the Versa. If I do it using it when the service is running (the notification in the app tray says ā€˜waiting for Fitbit (not using any battery)ā€™ it dies sometime in the middle of the night. It also seems now that the DND while asleep is not working as it should as when the app runs like that (waiting for Fitbit) it thinks itā€™s asleep so it turns my DND on. I like this feature and would like to see it corrected if possible. If I stop that in the app tray DND must be deactivated manually.

EDIT: The QA tester in me rechecked this and the service running doesnā€™t cause this. Iā€™m not quite sure what does but will keep an eye on it.

1 Like

Just got a Fitbit Ionic. Been using SAA for years. Wondering if thereā€™s a setup guide somewhere without reading all 300+ posts. I got my Ionic staying connected to the phone fully (classic bt mode) but still canā€™t seem to get the Fitbit to connect to SAA.

1 Like