Fitbit Ionic/Versa beta integration

@jiri-urbandroid I sent a new bug report.

I canā€™t get any of the companion app links to open in the FitBit Android app so I can install it.

This companion app is also unsearchable from the Android FitBit appā€™s gallery.

FitBit tech support is claiming this is an Urbandroid problem.

Iā€™ve been mucking with Tasker and intent.VIEW, but canā€™t seem to get the correct data format for the FitBit app to consume.

Please help me get the companion app installed?

@kaws which Fitbit device do you have exactly? I ask this because not all is threated equal and for example my Versa lite was started to be supported in a later version. And before that version my symptoms was very similar to yours.

I have an Ionic.

Itā€™s not that my device is unsupported, itā€™s just that there isnā€™t a way to get Sleep Companion app on it.

Clicking on the companion app link opens it in any Android browser I like, just not the Fitbit app.

I can install other Ionic apps from the FitBit app, but Sleep is unfindable in the app store.

@kaws The Sleep app is not yet in the Fitbit app store - you can only install it from the direct link. I did not yet put on the Fitbit app gallery for review. I donā€™t want to do it until the issues with Versa Lite are resolved.

Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately, the link will open in any Android browser i care to, but clicking it wonā€™t open it in the Fitbit Android app :frowning:

Iā€™ve been trying to use Tasker to send an intent, specifically:

android.intent.action.VIEW

to the com.fitbit.FitbitMobile package and the class com.fitbit.deeplink.DeepLinkActivity, which seems to be the thing supposed to handle Fitbit web ā€open withā€ functionality. I found this is FitBitā€™s manifest.

Unfortunately, I canā€™t figure out what form it wants the data in.

Any ideas?

@kaws
When I am opening the Link there is a Button/Link ā€œopen Appā€. When I Trigger this Link it open the Fitbit App store and I can install it on my Versa Lite.

Hi again everyone and especially fellow VersaLiters!

Iā€™ve attempted a fix for the current main issue on Versa Lite. What I observed is that on Versa Lite no accelerometer sensor readings are made whatsoever. There is a difficulty with Versa Lite that there is no way to test your code on an actual device - Versa Lite does not support sideloading, so the only way to test is on emulator. But guess what - the emulator does not support testing sensors. So weā€™re kinda blindfolded here.

Anyway, my theory is that Versa Lite does not have batched accelerometer API implemented well or at all, and so I have rewritten the code so that on Lite it uses the older non-batched accelerometer API. This would be a little more battery hungry but hopefully not gigantically.

I really hope this will work out since thereā€™s a newborn to be added to our home very soon (like on Monday) and Iā€™ll be out of office for a whileā€¦so fingers crossed!

Version 1.4: https://gallery.fitbit.com/details/90650cd6-76fa-40db-a747-240ac7da8a02

Oh and regarding @kaws issue, if anybody runs into the same, this worked for me:
adb shell am start -a android.intent.action.VIEW -c android.intent.category.BROWSABLE -d fitbit://gallery?path=APP/90650cd6-76fa-40db-a747-240ac7da8a02?directLink=true -f 0x14000000 -n com.fitbit.FitbitMobile/com.fitbit.deeplink.DeepLinkActivity

1 Like

Perfect! Thank you so much!

How come other apps are able to track from my Inspire HR just by logging into my fitbit account? I only ask because Iā€™ve tried another app and the sleep recordings were terrible compared to yours.

Thatā€™s because they donā€™t use the raw sensor data but the data that have been recorded and aggregated (meaning - sleep phases computed) by Fitbit already. So all they do is just display the results. Thatā€™s why we cannot do it the same way. The strength of Sleep as Android is in the state of the art sleep phase detection algorithms from raw sensor data.

2 Likes

I cant seem to find the App on the store has it been hidden?

Hi, I tried it several times to be sure, but I have to say nothing has been changed with my Versa lite.

I also have the following minor issues:

• The sensor test does not work because the helper module is not started
  • If I able to start the helper module somehow (see next point) the sensor test still doesnā€™t show anything but a circulating line.
  • After reboot the helper module starts automatically after a while.
  • Sometimes the watch does not recognize the connection with the phone, so although the phone thinks itā€™s connected to the watch, the watch still waits for the connection.

Oh, and Iā€™m still more than happy to help. I have some generic coding experience and Iā€™m not afraid getting my hand dirty with some debugging or installing an experimental version, which for example print out information beside sending it to the phone or do some other tricks to get some debug info.

1 Like

You canā€™t as it is not public yet. You have to use the direct link in this thread on the phone to open the app store.

Besides occasional problems connecting the phone to the app (usually requiring some kind of restart of either Bluetooth,the phone or the watch) I can report that with the original versa it is is already working decently.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Fitbit Versa question

I couldnā€™t wait more, so I registered to Fitbit as a developer and created my first app, which collects and show all sensors data. (I just compiled and published the template.) And now I can see the problem. In my Versa lite, the accelerometer doesnā€™t show anything. It exists, but have no values. Tomorrow I will do some more research.

So, I played with my watch a bit. And unfortunately I found no solution or any kind of evidence of itā€™s working by any means. The HR sensor is working fine, but we already knew this. I tried the official way to read the values and later I created a time-based callback but was not able to read any values. Even the activated class member was false (or none). Iā€™m not too happy now.

Here it is the answer to my question in the FitBit forum: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/SDK-Development/No-acceleration-data-in-Versa-Lite/m-p/3660794#M9478

Good God, I shouldā€™ve suspected that. Thanks a lot for trying it and checking on the Fitbit forums. So this seems like a temporary issue hopefully so we can go ahead and publish the app for the Ionic and big Versa.