Please integrate with the Oura Ring

From Jake Moroshek on 2017/06/07 02:57:18 +0000

They have one of the most accurate sleep trackers on the market so it would be great to somehow use some of that data in the app.

Copied from original feature request: http://urbandroid.uservoice.com/forums/264867-sleep-as-android/suggestions/19519048-please-integrate-with-the-oura-ring

From Jake Moroshek on 2018/02/06 16:44:01 +0000

I believe it does: https://cloud.ouraring.com/docs/

From Robbie on 2018/02/06 09:17:31 +0000

I would also like this - I've preordered the second gen Oura ring. I used to use SaA when I had a Pebble watch, and I miss it…

From Felix Schlegel on 2017/10/08 21:31:53 +0000

Agreed, the oura ring has the most accurate sleep cycle detection. would be amazing to combine it with the smart period alarm.

1 Like

Bump. Second gen ring coming soon, would be great to have this integrated.

1 Like

I have pre-ordered the second gen one after misplacing the original so I think it should also get sleep data integration.

I think it would be great to have the best tracker paired up with the best app!! I have my Oura ring on order. Would love to use that instead of my watch at night.

1 Like

I love my Oura ring, so I’d also appreciate the implementation.
API info is here https://cloud.ouraring.com/docs/

1 Like

Has there been any development with this yet?

I hope to replace my Samsung S3 watch with the ours for sleep tracking. Please integrate the new oura

Hello,

unfortunately Oura Ring does not provide the required integration options. The device needs to have an API that grants access to adhoc sensor data. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe this device does not have such API.

Anyway if there is anyone willing to reverse engeneer the BT protocol and do some integration, Sleep as Android has an open API so anyone can integrate any device with Sleep as Android although we do not have the resource to go this way. Please check our doc on our werable API here:

What Oura offers is just cloud API.
We don’t want to integrate cloud APIs of various vendors since we’d only get ex-post sleep data which do not have many uses for use.
When we integrate a device directly (such as Pebble, Gear, Wear, Garmin, Mi Band), we have raw access to the sensors on the device and we can apply our algorithms to run functions such as smart wake up, lucid dreaming, anti-snoring etc.
With cloud-imported data, you could view them in charts but usually those cloud services have their own means to show their data.

We did integrate with Google Fit and Samsung Health - general purpose open health services, so if they integrate those services you can get your data synced over to Sleep as Android.

1 Like

I am thinking about buying the oura ring.

1. Has there been news with regard to sleep as android integration?
  2. For those who have the ring: How is it? Is it worth the money?
  3. If there is no integration and it might be overpriced, which wearable is best to track sleep and get woken up in your light sleep? I prefer not to have a watch with display, a small device would be best (even if only for sleep)
1 Like

Hello,

According to the Oura Ring webpage, the Oura Ring does integrate with Google Fit. With this integration, could the ring be used during the night and send real time information to a phone to allow for a wake up? I think this would be very helpful for many people who have a difficult time sleeping with bulky watches on at night. I know I am very interested. Thank you for everything you and the UrbanDroid team do!

2 Likes

Hello Luke,

no sorry :(… you can enable Google Fit and get your Oura Ring data in Sleep as Android downloaded though the Fit, but we cannot access the device sensors… for that they would need to have a BT Characteristics API…

Big thanks for your feedback and sorry for the limitations…

4 Likes

From what I see in the Oura documentation, the BT signal is off when the wearer is inactive or asleep, which would prevent gathering sensor data by SaA even if Oura published their Bluetooth API:

(excerpt below, emphasis added by me)

When to Use Airplane Mode

Consider turning on Airplane Mode if you’d like to eliminate all EMF exposure from the ring. Keep in mind that the Bluetooth signal from your Oura Ring is only active during a small portion of each day (well below 1%). It’s also completely turned off while you’re inactive or sleeping.

Data from this device (if available via export to file) would be another candidate for creating sleep record after waking up for the day.

1 Like