Why is there a red bar / section / block in my sleep graph? - Sleep as Android

The red block indicates that something went wrong with tracking at that time and the device stopped providing sensor data for some reason. Usually those are some non-standard battery optimizations or battery savers, the battery gets too low so we preserve it for the alarm or connectivity issue if you use a wearable.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://docs.sleep.urbandroid.org//faqs/red_sections_graph.html

I have a Polar H10 paired with the app. I get good data (HR, HRV, accelerometer) from the wearable for the first few hours of the night, but there is always a point where the tracking stops and I get the red bar for the rest of the night. I think it is happening when I get up to go to the bathroom during the night. This post seems to indicate that when I come back into bluetooth range, the app should reconnect to my wearable, but this is not happening.

Hello @jugdizh, can you please use menu - report a bug to let us know more details on what exactly has happened? Big thanks…

I had the same problem: red bar all night after going to kitchen to drink water.

Hello @Arthur_Golgo_Lucas … what wearable are you using?

I use galaxy watch 4 and there is little red bar at the end of sleeping everytime.

I usually go to toilet before my sleep over.

Hello Gokberk, could you please make sure all system restrictions are disabled for all involved apps (Sleep, Wear app, Bluetooth), and also Sleep has background activity enabled in Galaxy Wear > Watch settings > Apps > Sleep tracking > Allow background activity.
Please, use the Left ≡ menu → (?) Support → Report a bug, ideally right after you finish a sleep tracking session. Thanks.

I have the same exact problem as gokberk. All restrictions that I know of are off. The initial report right after I turn off the alarm would show the full chart, but after closing the report a small red bar would show up at the end of the chart. It hasn’t always been like this, so maybe it was caused by a watch update? I also use a Samsung watch 4.

Is the red section always at the end of the graph? When you end the tracking (or the alarm does), the app waits for the last batch of data. If the batch does not make it in time, the app finishes the data set file without this batch. Is it happening every time? And if not, is there anything connecting those graphs? Like battery level, other apps running, the time when the tracking ends, use of an alarm…

Yes the red section is always at the end of the graph. It happens every time, with the only exceptions being when I did not turn off alarm but instead just power off my phone and watch. I recently wiped my phone and watch completely for a repair and it’s still happening.
It happens with or without smart period, captcha alarm, whether I’m home or not home, if it’s a long or short sleep, interupted or continuous. I have yet to notice if it happens to very short naps.
I leave my battery on the wireless charger overnight, I’m not sure about other apps. The red section looks to be about roughly 20 minutes?

This was today’s sleep, which was an outlier. I went to sleep at around 2:20 AM, I set an alarm at 7:30 to take my meds. at 7:30 I turned the alarm off, the initial report showed a full graph, I closed this and started sleep tracking again. at 9:00 the alarm went off but I couldn’t find the NFC key, so instead I powered off both the watch and phone. The first portion of the sleep resulted in a red section while the second portion did not.