Wear OS devices - Sleep as Android

Sleep tracking with Wear OS device requires a companion app installed from the Play Store on the watch. All Wear OS devices can monitor sleep tracking movement and collect HR. Some wearables can also collect SpO2 data - for more details, please see the chapter on oximeters and SpO data.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://docs.sleep.urbandroid.org//devices/wearos.html
1 Like

The app is not appearing on the phone’s play store.

Same issue here! Very disappointing cause I’ve been using for a few years an would like to have it back. :frowning:

Wear OS app is not showing up to be installed not even after searching for it in my SmartWatch.

Hello @Ernesto_Castellanos @Amanda_Johnson @Uberrob

sorry for the issues. The app is now back at Play Store or if you are not seeing it yet please join the BETA channel…

The issue is discussed at New Samsung Galaxy watch 4 no tracking

Sorry for the trouble…

Thank you! :raised_hands:

@Ernesto_Castellanos many thanks for the update can you please confirm you are seeing the app?

Confirmed! It works from my phone using the option “Apps on your phone” as usual. I did not have to join the BETA channel.

@Ernesto_Castellanos great news… big thanks for the update…

Which do I select for a Fossil Gen 6 running Wear OS 3? I have installed the companion app for the watch already and left it as “Automatic” because if I select WearOS 3, it takes me to download the Google Pixel Watch app, which is of course not for Fossil watches.

It seems to check for the Pixel Watch App before it allows you to select Wear OS 3+. I just installed it and then selected Wear OS 3, seems to work OK with my Fossil Gen 6.

The vibration on TicWatch5 Pro (Wear OS 3+) works fine, so far.

But why can’t you set it as a proper alarm on the watch that’s recognized by the OS as such, so that it can also wake up the watch from essential mode or sleep time mode? Because other alarm apps apparently can, but I don’t want to use them as they’re missing other features.

It’s the only really important thing that’s still missing…

Some other things nice to have would be the ability to set alarms directly on the watch (probably related to the above), and some more variety with vibration patterns, like not just reducing the interval between vibrations with time, but also something like double or triple vibrations to convey more urgency.

With the Pixel Watch 2 release, and it being the latest version of Wear OS, will everything be supported out of the box?

Pixel watch 2 has SpO2 tracking like most Fitbit devices but the app seems to not support it

@MrMusic67 I did just released an article covering exactly this topic… please check https://sleep.urbandroid.org/we-finally-have-a-new-king-of-smart-watch/

I do not have a Pixel Watch 2 here for testing, would you please run a short sleep track with the watch and afterward use Menu > Support > Report a bug? I will see if Google did make the SPO2 sensor available at least for Pixel Watch 2…?

What may be working better with the Pixel Watch though is HRV… I did recently release a new version of the Wear OS app which is able (in addition to any SDNN sensor) also utilize RRI sensors to calculate HRV and tell you how resting was the sleep for your body… For that you need the latest Wear OS app BETA or wait for the full release… now it is 50% staged roll out

Hello @Patneu I think in general sleep tracking won’t work when the watch is in essential mode, fortunately you still have a backup alarm on the phone for this occasion… I think essential mode isn’t a standard feature in Wear OS and I do not see some dev documentation so I’m not sure how to wake up the device from essential mode also when already in essential mode I do not think we would be able to schedule an alarm to wake it up… please check https://sleep.urbandroid.org/we-finally-have-a-new-king-of-smart-watch/ we are coming with support for HRv on TocWatch 5…

Just so I understand correctly, Overnight HRV is not currently supported with the TWP5 ? Correct? If this is the case is there an issue with running SAA on my phone with an H10 and run SAA on the watch to get SPO2? Or how is the best achieved?

I wear my H10 anyway so I can get HRV readings upon waking without fiddling around with the chest strap for EliteHRV

Thanks

Mark

Hello @Mark_Weiss… HRV as well as SPO2 is now supported with the latest Wear OS app version from the Play Store with TicWatch 5 on earlier TicWatch Spo2 and HRv are exclusive. Did that help?

Thank you, yes. I am waiting on the watch to arrive and will report back once it is set up with SAA.

Mark

Petr:

So my TW5 arrived, I downloaded the SAA app to the watch. I selected Wear OS 3.0 and tested the connection. After a delay I get a graph on the screen. heart Rate Monitoring is on, and Pulse Ox is on. When I test the watch by selecting a 15 min nap, only SPO2 shows on the results.

I cannot seem to get HR or HRV to display.

I dove into the watch System Settings, I have Wear OS 3.5, Model WH12088, and System Updates are set to Android V11. My SAA on my Pixel 6 is 20231001

Are there any setting that I have wrong ?

Thanks

Mark