Vibration weaker on Pixel Watch 1 since Wear OS 5 update?

I’ve already put in a report about this, I just wanted to see if anyone else was having this issue or whether it was just me. I’ve used Sleep with Gentle Wake on my Pixel Watch (original) for some time, and it’s always been great. It just recently got the Wear OS 5 update, and ever since, the vibrations during Gentle Wake have gotten a lot weaker. For the past week or so, the vibrations are weak enough that I don’t actually wake up until the alarm sound starts going off a few minutes later. Vibrations seem to be normal strength in my other apps. Has anyone else experienced this?

1 Like

Can confirm, it’s really annoying.

Hello @D1.yt and @notamaiar … can you please check in Settings > Apps > Sleep > what verison number of the watch app are you on?

Many thanks

I was on 5.12, just saw an update is available. Will test it out.

Updated to the latest stable release (5.16), but no change of behavior. After the WearOS rollout, the vibration of the pixel watch 1 got too weak.

Also had this bug in the playstore, where no matter how often I reinstalled the app, it showed me the “still on beta version, please reinstall” warning, until i reset the storage of playstore.

5.23 on the watch as of this morning, but I don’t know if it updated overnight or today. This morning’s vibrations were still super-weak, so I’m hoping the latter. Will report back tomorrow.

Phone is on 20240922 (beta program).

1 Like

Installed the 5.23 version sent to me by @petr-urbandroid via sideload to replace the Play Store version, and it does seem as though the vibrations are stronger. Hard to be sure, given that now I’m paying such close attention to them when I know the alarm is going off, lol! Have to see if it’s strong enough tomorrow morning!

Any chance I can test that version too? @petr-urbandroid

Hi @D1.yt, you can get the latest 5.23 release from our web here:
https://sleep.urbandroid.org/wp-content/uploads/release/SleepWear-5.23.apk

Hi all,

yesterday I have checked the code. There is one change in the way we use vibrations on newer version of the watch app and this is we use audio attributes and explicitedly specify that the vibrations are an ALARM…

This is useful for the bedtime mode… as newer Wear OS device would otherwise block the vibrations in bedtime mode.

I do know if this change could have made the vibrations softer… anyways the vibrations are gradual so after 1-2 minutes it will get into a state of nearly constant vibrations…are you seeing this happening?

I have also looked if there are other audio attributes, wich could make the vibrations stronger, but I did not find such.

We could use the new API to make vibrations stronger but I’m quite affraid to do it, this may well be too much on other devices or for other people…

Hi, after testing 5.23, I didn’t notice stronger vibration or a gradual increase.

Gradual increase was always there, but not increase in strength but frequency… normally it starts with one suble vibe and then 30s pause, then a vibe, 20s pause, then another 10s pause… etc… after 2-3 minutes it will et into constant vibration…

Maybe you are just always turning it off earler before it really starts vibrating?

The aim here is to wake you up with the least strength necessary to a pleasant wake up experience…

You can test this just now, please just schedule an alarm for +1 minute and leave the watch for 3-4 minutes… I would say the vibrations are not strong enough after that period?

Well, the frequency does increase, but this doesn’t change anything unfortunately.

I recorded a video after 4min in - you cannot notice any vibration on the video, in fact I barely notice it myself: workupload - Are you a human?

Yeah, unfortunately, after more than a week, I don’t think the vibrations are actually any stronger when the alarm is going off; when I was testing it while awake I was paying close attention, so I guess it seemed stronger. But the last couple of days I’ve only noticed it after the sound alarm has gone off and I’m in the Snooze part of the morning, so: not really asleep.

1 Like

It seems this bug in now reported on Android official bug tracker… moreover the guys who reported it saved us the trial and error work to test if any vibrator settings would make the vibration stronger… according to them there isn’t such parameter…

So we can only hope Google will fix it with some update…

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/373328655?pli=1

1 Like

I also am experiencing this issue. I really regret upgrading my watch.

I noticed that if I sleep through the (soft) vibrations, eventually my phone will ring (loudly) as if I’m receiving a phone call. I have all the sounds disabled, but I couldn’t find a setting to control that behavior?

It seems like it’s the same behavior if the watch runs out of battery (or gets below ~15%), but I full charged the watch and the same thing happened (I slept through the silent alarm by about 20-30 minutes or so).

hi @dwb, is it possible it is the backup alarm? It has a basic ringtone. The backup alarm is triggered after the alarm time-out period is over, the default is 20 minutes. You can prolong the period, or configure the backup alarm as silent - but make sure there is something to wake you up.
Settings > Alarsm > Backup alarm

Apparently there were a bunch of issues (i.e. bricked some watches) with the first round of Wear OS 5 updates that went out, and Google pulled it, but not before a lot of people installed it. I hadn’t had any issues before this, but… :frowning:

That’s exactly what it was! Thank you!

Is there a way to use the notifications-pipeline for the Watch as notifications still vibrate in the same intensity? Maybe as an option? As I always use Sleep as Android to control my DND state during sleep, this might work without risking muted alarms.