Ticwatch 5 - HRV & SPO2 support

Hello,

Sorry for the potentially stupid question. I’m researching which wearables are supported, but I’m getting a bit confused.

In this article: We finally have a new king of smart watch! - Sleep as Android the author states:

making TW5 the first Wear OS device where Sleep as Android can track all the 3 important body sensor metrics: HR, HRV, and SPO2

But when I read the Wearables support page, it seems like Sleep as Android does not support reading HRV and SPO2 at the same time:

I feel like I’m misunderstanding something. Or is this something that potentially will be added in the future? Does anyone know how it works?

And if not possible with the Ticwatch, are Garmin Connect IQ watches the only watches that support HRV and SPO2 reading at the same time for Sleep as Android?

2 Likes

Hello @jdv,
only the TicWatch Pro 3 has the icon for either HR or SpO2 in this table.
Sleep as Android supports reading HR, HRV, and SpO2 at the same time, but the diodes on TicWatch Pro 3 have a different implementation and do not allow reading the data at the same time.

Hey @lenka-urbandroid,

Thanks for your response!

So if I’m reading this right, the TicWatch 5 does not support HRV and SpO2, since the HRV icon is missing from the “Supported Sensors” column?

And only the TicWatch Pro 3 supports HRV or SpO2?

TicWatch 5 PRO supports HR, HRV, and SpO2.
TicWatch 3 PRO supports HR+HRV OR SpO2. You can configure SpO2 data, and let the app sync HR via an online service like Health Connect, or S Health.

1 Like

JDV:

I bought the TWPro 5 last year when this functionality was announced for SAA. After using it since last November of 2023, I’m not sold on the biosensors on this platform. Part of this may be the watch and the other part is the problem with any watch… the wrist is a challenging place to get quality biometrics from. And now after 9 months of wearing it daily the watch battery is not doing well and the CPU freezes up weekly on me. Since day one… Whenever I sleep on my arm the SPO2 goes wonky… again it may be a wrist thing.

I quickly abandoned the watch for use with SAA and stick with my Polar H10 Strap and use the BerryMed BM200A for when I want SPO2 in order to check my sleep apena.

The talented programmers here at SAA are working on using the Polar SDK to integrate more Polar Products and Watches. At that time may look at a Polar watch.

A applaud Mobvoi for opening up their sensor package for developers like SAA. The TWpro5 is great in other areas for me but not the sensor data. There is a dude on youtube called the Qualified Scientist who did a non-favorable review of the biosensors on the TWpro5 as well so I may not be alone in my opinion of the watch.

Best

Mark

I may have posted this on the wrong area today, but… This is what I posted in reply to your list:

I have a TicWatch Pro 5 Enduro. I see you posted the Pro 3 supports either/or HRVSP02:
“Wear OS devices HRV support Ticwatch Pro 3 ↝:heart::heart_decoration:/◌ Ticwatch devices do not allow SpO2” reading and HRV data at once.

My questions are

1. Does my Pro 5 Enduro support both (I see only HR and Sp02 in Sleep charts)?
  2. How do you switch from Sp02 to HRV?
  3. What prevents Sleep from displaying them simultaneously?

BTW, thank you for your faithful work in supporting this app over the years; this is a fantastic app!

Hi @raymillr,
On some TicWatch models, the app cannot read both at the same time, because the diodes implementation is not allowing it.
For some reason, TicWatch devices can provide HR and HRV when the green LED mode of the sensor on the bottom of your watch is enabled, or SPO2 when the red LED mode is enabled. Strangely, they have not implemented HRV from the red mode.

We are not sure which devices are affected, we did not test it on PRO 5 Enduro, but we tested Ticwatch 5 PRO and all data were measured. So you have a high chance of having all the data. You can send me the logs (Left ≡ menu → (?) Support → Report a bug), I will check them. The app may have RR values, but not enough data points to estimate the HRV-

1 Like

As best as I understand The 5 Pro Enduro has exactly the same sensors, expanded 3rd party apps availability (e.g. Strava), about 10 hours longer battery life, quick charge, much smoother rotating crown, slightly thinner profile, more comfortable band, sapphire glass instead of gorilla glass. Other hardware and software specs seem identical and both support Wear OS 4 Beta. So, bottom line is, how do I get HRV to show.
BTW, I just downloaded Google’s Health connect (after much doubt, given the recent terrible reviews!). I’m not sure how it will all interact with SaA, Mobvoi Health, and Samsung Health on my Samsung S23 Ultra phone.

As an aside, I installed Twilight on my watch, but it seems to only allow play and pause, instead of being automated as it is on my phone. It’s simple to use though. Nice add-on! Can’t seem to get it to work on my Philips smart LED lights yet, but it’s not as high priority. I’ll try to upload SaA logs later.
Thanks again for your quick replies!

The Twilight app on the wearable will follow the setup on the phone, so it will be automated. You still have an option to pause-resume on the watch. The rest of the settings will follow the phone’s setup.

1 Like

Re this part of my message above… Do I need Samsung Health Connect AND Mobvoi Health, or should Mobvoi Health alone be sufficient? I still can’t seem to get HRV to display, though it should, if I understand the discussion on Ticwatch Pro 3 and Pro 5 correctly. Also, thank you for clarifying how Twighlight is designed to work on my TicWatch Pro 5 Enduro… I like it!

@lenka-urbandroid, Just a follow up on my bug report…
Some days after I submitted it, my sleep records showed HRV for two days, then it stopped. FYI, I just updated my Ticwatch Pro 5 Enduro to OS 4, but that was well after HRV appeared and disappeared. I’m stumped… What’s keeping HR from showing up?
BTW, as a SaA user for many years, kudos to you guys for your work on both the apps and your continued support of SaA users!