Telling Google Home good night should start sleep tracking

From Nafallo Bjälevik on 2016/12/11 23:54:43 +0000

(empty description)

Copied from original feature request: http://urbandroid.uservoice.com/forums/264867-sleep-as-android/suggestions/17401033-telling-google-home-good-night-should-start-sleep

From Petr Nálevka on 2017/09/15 09:27:24 +0000

+Robin, shortcuts won't work :(… with shortcuts you can only substitute long commands to short… but "Start sleep tracking" was supported in Google Now Voice Actions and is no more supported in Google Assistent which completely dropped support for on device actions for whatever reason only Google understands…

1 Like

From Robin on 2017/09/14 14:58:15 +0000

Hey Petr,
Thank You for Your reply!

That's kind of sad.

But what the Google Assistant does support are "shortcuts" (at least that's the translation from german…). So I can tell the assistant:

If I say "good night" the assistant should "start sleep tracking".

I tried this one out, but it didn't work yet. So maybe that's because my phone is german and the german command would be "Schlafmessung starten"?

Greetings

From Anonymous on 2017/09/09 00:01:21 +0000

It does unfortunately not work with Google Assistant, which would be quite awesome. I don't know how difficult that would be to implement but that would be REALLY comfortable to have.

From Ashvin Vijayakumar on 2017/07/09 05:42:38 +0000

Needs to be through Google Assistant

From Thomas Schindele on 2017/05/01 17:31:57 +0000

And Alexa?
Via IFTTT?

From Petr Nálevka on 2017/03/15 16:48:23 +0000

I did not test on Google Home, but we had previously Now integration so basically telling Google Now "Start sleep tracking with Sleep" will start sleep tracking, also we support the standard start workout fitness intent and on Android Wear you can use "Start sleep tracking"…

From Zach on 2017/03/15 15:32:47 +0000

And/Or Google Assistant

From Gergely Pongrácz on 2017/02/21 10:40:54 +0000

Use the tasker app!

1 Like

I made an ifttt applet so that if I tell Google assistant / Google home to start sleep tracking, it’ll send a pushover notification (lowest priority so I don’t hear or see it) with a specific title (IFTTT_START_SLEEP_TRACKING… I know, it’s not very creative…) to my phone. Then I have a Tasker profile to trigger from that and it will start sleep tracking. It works surprisingly well considering how it’s Google > ifttt > pushover > Tasker > sleep as Android. It’s nearly instantaneous.

2 Likes

Sven_Haaijman: I would love to do that. I’m a new user to ifttt and never used pushover or tasker. Do you have any suggestions to get started? I’d love to recreate what you’ve done.

Hi, we are planning Google Home / Assistant integration definitely, so stay tuned!

6 Likes

Jiri, any timeline on when it will be available :+1::blush:

Looking forward to this @jiri-urbandroid!

@Rune_Antonsen sorry, we don’t have a timeline as currently we are still trying to recover from a big rewrite we had to do due to new stricter Android policies that took charge from Nov 1st. And the next big thing on our plate is automatic sleep tracking start so that will be a priority. But this is definitely high on our todo list.

I definitely want to add my voice to support this. I often get ready for bed and put my phone down. I have home/assistant run several things for me before sleep and that sometimes makes me forget to do sleep tracking. It would be awesome if I could make Google do it.

@jiri-urbandroid Hi, I’m really looking forward to this feature, and I can’t wait to see it. Something I would suggest is to make a Sleep As Android skill for the Google Assistant in general, which could allow anyone with the Google Assistant to initiate sleep tracking and/or set an alarm inside of Sleep As Android.

I’m not entirely sure what Google Assistant skills have access to (in terms of sensors, radios, etc) but it would be really cool if you ask a Google Assistant smart display “Wake me up around 7:30 tomorrow morning” and it would set a smart alarm using Sleep As Android. Or maybe you could say to it “Hey Google, start sleep tracking.” And it would say “Okay, which alarm do you want me to wake you up with?” And you could either set an alarm through it or you could use a preset, and then after selecting one it would say “Okay, I’ve started your sleep tracking. Good night!”.

Then maybe once you wake up, it will do the alarm just like it would on the app, using the sounds and settings you selected. It would also be really cool if it would support the captcha features, and you could do the captchas right from the smart display, but it would detect you getting out of bed and wouldn’t turn off the alarm or let you do the captchas until you’re out of bed.

This would be perfect for the newly announced Lenovo Smart Clock, because it’s made to sit right beside your bed while still being capable of a lot of the stuff every other Google smart display can do.

Thanks for all your hard work! Your app is probably my favorite app ever!

2 Likes

I have this set up using ifttt to send me a text message which triggers this Automate flow (free, unlike Tasker) : http://llamalab.com/automate/community/flows/27657

Only requires the phone screen to be unlocked.

1 Like

@jiri-urbandroid Any updates on this feature? It’s been a few months since anyone has talked about it; figured I’d check in.

I’m especially looking forward to Google Home integration; being able to set smart alarms as part of the “Good Night” routine, have them trigger sleep tracking on my phone and watch, and turning them off like a standard Assistant alarm would be killer.

2 Likes

I guess it would be really really cool and usefull to get G-Home integration.
Cause most smarthome products ( lamps, wall plugs e.g. ) have G-Home support also.

So in my idea, a simple “good night” to G-Home should turn off the lights and other defined devices, and also should start sleeptracking.

Really looking forward to something like this.

2 Likes