Spotify with "Delayed Alarm Sound Start" Not Working

Detailed description of the problem:
The problem is that the audio from my Spotify playlist immediately starts playing, even though I have set a “Delayed alarm sound start”.

It could be more than just Spotify, but this is the first time I have tried this.

For further context, I wanted to first have my phone light up gradually without audio to get the effect that natural sunlight has (since it’s pretty dark in the morning here.) However, this isn’t possible without the delay of the audio…

Please fix this, it would be great if this worked.

Steps to reproduce:
My alarm has the following settings (highlighted the more important settings):
Smart-period: 40min
Captcha: Disabled
Sound: Spotify (LoFi rain)
Gentle Volume Increase: 3min
Vibrate: Disabled
Delayed Alarm Sound Start: 3 minutes

Bedtime Notifications and Snooze are disabled

To test this setup, I did the following

1. Set alarm to 1 minute from now
  2. Put phone to sleep and waited for it to go off
  3. Noticed that the audio played despite the audio-level indicator showing a muted icon and 3 minutes had not passed
  4. Waited 3 minutes, the audio “unmutes” (know that it was playing audio the whole time) and the app acts as though the audio is increasing as normal.

Note: Although there was a muted icon, the audio-bar (green bar) looked “filled”, not sure if that’s intended or not…

Version of Sleep as Android:
Version 20230124

@johnthom I have tried to reproduce this and I know what is going on… for Spotify playback we need to rely on the system volume as the playback is done in another process - in Spotify… recently we have implemented Spotify integration with remote playback which allows us to use a proper alarm stream for Spotify alarm… but on latest Android versions the alarm stream always ensures a minimum volume to wake people up… so even when we set it to zero it can still be heart… so a workaround for this is to force the MEDIA stream in this situation, you can do this in Settings > Alarm > all the way down > Advanced > Alarm output > Headphones only…

For the next BETA version I will force MEDIA stream in case of delayed sound start setting by default…

1 Like

Wonderful! That workaround fixed the issue. Thank you for the quick and insightful response.

This is also already released to the BETA… to get the fix, please join BETA Testers group at:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/sleep-as-an-droid
That you can opt-into the BETA at the following address:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.urbandroid.sleep
Or simply by visiting our Play Store listing and tapping “Join BETA”

After that you should be starting receiving latest BETA updates through the Play Store.