Specify sleep cycles amount instead of wake up time when setting an alarm

From Kamil Stępień on 2016/02/03 20:39:21 +0000

When setting alarm, allow us to specify how many sleep cycles we want to sleep (as an alternative to specific time). This kind of alarm wouldn’t be set at a strict time, but instead would count sleep cycles amount that was specified.

For example:

I want to sleep, so I create an alarm where I choose one of preconfigured values:

• 1x cycle (~1.5 h)
  • 2x cycle (~3.0 h)
  • 3x cycle (~4.5 h)
  • 4x cycle (~6.0 h)
    ===== Recommended =====
  • 5x cycle (~7.5 h)
  • 6x cycle (~9.0 h)
  • Specify your own value… (leads to popup with a number to choose)

Then I enable sleep tracking (mandatory of course). Afer this, app would track me until I fall asleep, then It would keep track of amount of cycles and wake me up after the last one passed.

Copied from original feature request: http://urbandroid.uservoice.com/forums/264867-sleep-as-android/suggestions/11707056-specify-sleep-cycles-amount-instead-of-wake-up-tim

From Dimitris on 2017/08/21 13:42:19 +0000

Looks a good idea for future update

From Anonymous on 2016/09/30 02:14:14 +0000

I'm surprised this idea hasn't gained traction. The app should be able to calculate and figure out our average sleep cycle duration and allow us to set an alarm based on number of sleep cycles to be completed rather than a set time. That way you can plan a much more fulfilling yet not excessive sleep for the weekend let's say.

Idea is great (and so far I’m using a second app). Love if it will be improved?

Up until Android 10 released I used doubleTwist’s Alarm app which basically did this and it added 14 minutes since according to them that is the average time it takes for someone to fall asleep, but it only had 3, 4, 5, and 6 cycle options.

I’d like if that functionality could be replicated in this app, with the ability to choose to set multiple alarms at once when setting an alarm based on sleep cycles.

For example you set it for 4 and 5 sleep cycles at once, then after you hit 4 cycles as determined by sleep tracking (or just add ~15 minutes to the 90 minute period) it rings an alarm, you can dismiss the alarm and if you don’t actually get up you have the second alarm 90 minutes later.
This would be very useful for me since I tend to need to be brought out of sleep with an array of alarms over two or three attempts, and having them spread out to hit me when I’m most likely to wake up is best.