Smart Power-Nap

From teste5050 on 2016/11/04 12:56:19 +0000

The creation of a feature inspired in this idea from thim.io :

power napping module

Shift workers, elite athletes, executives and students use power-naps to increase energy, concentration and performance.

The perfect power-nap should last for 10 minutes. Sleeping too little or too much will leave you feeling groggy after your nap. Exactly 10 minutes ensures you wake up refreshed and reinvigorated.

Alarms can only countdown time. They are unable to know when you have entered stage 1 sleep to begin counting down from 10 minutes. Thim knows when you’ve fallen asleep - to the minute. Providing you the perfect power-nap for the first time.

(I guess that from the options of 15 or 30 minutes for napping on Sleep as Android, its team did not know of the science behind the 10 minutes ‘magic number’.)

Copied from original feature request: http://urbandroid.uservoice.com/forums/264867-sleep-as-android/suggestions/16953181-smart-power-nap

From Josh on 2017/04/13 19:12:22 +0000

@Petr I think he means wake after 10 minutes of actual sleep, not 10 minutes after turning on sleep tracking.

This is similar to the higher voted issue of waking earlier than alarm if sleep target met.

Both issues could be solved with a new alarm type, centered around waking after sleep target achieved, taking into account how long it took to fall asleep or sleep disruptions. Alternatively, this target could be a "deep sleep" target, as that calculation seems to adjust take such things into account.

This way if a user set it for 10 minutes, even if it took 5 or 20 minutes to fall asleep, it will wake after 10 minutes of sleep. But it could also be set for several hours, and could wake at optimal time.

The functionality is already all there (smart sleep reminder system, as well as recently added "time to fall asleep tracking") - it just needs to be reversed and tied to a new alarm type.

From Petr Nálevka on 2017/03/28 16:15:00 +0000

+Reinier there is already such button, the first time you start your power nap for X minutes, the next time you start the app you have a new option in the menu drawer Nap X minutes - this will start sleep tracking and also schedule the related alarm for you with one tap…

From Reinier van der Leij on 2017/03/18 07:37:43 +0000

I started doing power naps since I was 30 or 35 I think. The last 25 year with a night owl as a husband, it's my survival tool! Indeed 15 minutes saves my day! So I love the idea of a button for it. Go for it!

From Ron on 2017/01/27 10:59:26 +0000

I would love this to be applied even to regular sleep (shift worker). If I know I need 6 hours, I would like to start the tracking and have Sleep wake me once I've had the 6 hours of sleep, regardless of the time that the alarm is set for (maybe make the alarm set time a "drop dead" time to get up).