Sleep noise recording - Sleep as Android

Settings → Sleep noise recording

You can check whether the phone is recording on the sleep tracking screen - red light indicates that the phone is currently recording.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://docs.sleep.urbandroid.org//sleep/sleep_noise_recording.html

It would be helpful if there was a toggle all/multiple option to delete and label many recordings at once.

My fan is constantly being picked up as snoring. My phone is on the other side of me and my fan & it’s relatively quiet. I have tried to clean up the recordings daily but the app doesn’t ask what the noise is.

What if I sleep with a white noise machine playing? Will enabling noise recording be of any use?

Hello @Lori_S, we are constantly working on new more advanced versions of our neural network for sound classification. The main challenge is every device sound system is different and adds some post processing we try to enhance the networks with each generation to be able abstract from that…

We are just testing a new neural network version which in our tests seem again a lot better in generalizing from device specific issues…

Are you in the BETA channel? If you are not would you be willing to give it a try?

Hi, I have over 99+ recordings from my last sleep. The threshold is set at 30%. What can I do? I have a loud air conditioner that makes a constant sound

1 Like

There are a few days where I can’t play the sleep sound recordings. I get a message that the recording cannot be found. How can I find/access these recordings?

@Keiko_Ishida can you please use menu > report a bug and send us the bug report so that we can investigate this? In some cases in the past we have seen that an automatic backup to cloud for instance was deleting the files…

I don’t know why I can’t comprehend how the sensitivity works. I got a new phone and I don’t know what volume means, nor repeat. I’ve taken pictures and circled the areas that my brain can’t compute. I’ve used the app for 2 nights so far and last night had 99 events but not a single description like talking or snoring. Can someone please dumb this down for me? I welcome any one to email me if you can help. leslie6074@gmail.com

There needs to be a functionality that doesn’t record white noise machines. Be it its own tag. It needs to be added because you can’t hear anything but my white noise maker.

1 Like

I am having the same issue regarding recording snoring while using white noise. Questions:

Can I set a baseline volume level based on the white noise volume and only record noises above that volume? I don’t fully understand the volume settings for recording, so please explain them if they are referenced in your response. :slight_smile:

Earlier, there is a post by a @Lori_S that received a response regarding testing a feature through the beta channel. I am in the beta channel but I don’t see anything related to this. Are there new developments?

My goal is not to record sleep noises but to have my Wear OS watch vibrate when I am snoring. Am I right to think that until Sleep can detect snoring while white noise is playing, I should just turn off this feature?

Hello @Noah_Tonk, @Stash_Williams @AlphaBetty81… sorry fro missing thsi thread for a white… Please note that the voluem threshold works that way… it will only record sounds above a multiple of the recording volume baseline, no if you have many whitenoises recorded just increase that baseline… Other story is sound recognition, if you recognize snoring, laughing, baby crying or sneezing or coatching we will record that anyway regardless of the thereshold, it may happen that on some device the whitenoise can cause false positives in terms of sound recognition and in this case it makes sense to decrese sensitivity of the sound recognition category causing this… does this make sense?

Hi, I like to listen to meditation recordings or podcasts before I sleep. Is there a way to not record these? I have disabled sound recognition of talking, but they still get recorded. I don’t think I can adjust the threshold because the sound is louder or the same volume as other sounds that would be made in the night, I think.

Since you listen to meditation “before you sleep”, I would simply suggest waiting until the meditation has finished, and then start Sleep as Android (SaA) tracking.

If you want to fall asleep to the meditation (without having to return to your phone to activate sleep tracking afterwards), I would simply recommend using the delay function on SaA. If your meditation is 30 minutes, you might consider setting the delay for 31 minutes, for example.

Else…
You might be asking to start and run both meditation and tracking concurrently; having SaA differentiate the meditation sounds from those you may be making and selectively recording yours alone?

Unfortunately you didn’t say whether the meditation was being played from the same device as SaA, but you might consider using ear buds in that case.
I don’t know if it’s otherwise possible, but the dev or others may well have a better answer.

I hope this helps. :blush:

Wow, a response! Sorry for the vagueness but yes I start and run both meditation and tracking concurrently on the same device. I don’t like using ear buds because they feel uncomfortable to me. But I didn’t know about the delay function in SaA – I’ll try that and set it for the approximate time I fall asleep. Thanks!

Jumping on Emma’s thread to ask, if you don’t mind, if there is anyway to stop the app from ignoring the background noise and selectively my own voice? I have the very bad sleep habit (I know) of sleeping with the TV on all night, so the delay function wouldn’t be an option.

Hi Sarrah, optimizing the algorithms for the sound of each user is technically not possible right now. We would have to collect thousands of samples from each user, and then implement the specially trained algorithms into a tailor-made app for each user.

Does the TV have a timeout feature? You could configure the timeout of the same duration as the tracking start delay.

Can I use my smartwatch for input?

Hi, the input can be only from the phone microphone- analyzing sounds in real-time and recording them is quite a CPU and battery-intensive process.

Sleep sounds INPUT

There’s this setting where you can select the audio input, but I don’t know which setting would be the most optimal.
@petr-urbandroid, what do they mean?