Samsung S10e + Garmin Fenix 5 Plus stop communicating during the night

Detailed description of the problem:
On average 6 nights a week, the communication between the watch and the app fails. This of course impacts smart alarms which I really really miss.

Steps to reproduce:
Unknown, random events

Version of Sleep as Android:
Premium version 20210616 (22433)
Sleep Garmin
Sleep tracking from watch version 20201106
Watch / Phaser Starter for Sleep as Android version 1.0
Garmin Fenix 5 Plus with Sleep as Android app version 20210607

Problems have started in November 2020 (once a week on average)
Have gotten worse in February 2021 (5 - 6 times a week)

I have contacted support 3 times, first two times I was left aside for lack of time. Contacted them again today, have received a first answer.

I have checked all the battery optimization settings for my Samsung S10e with Android 11. Whitelisted all Sleep as Android app, bluetooth, … I’ve verified it 4 times already and except not everything is listed in FAQ or Documentation, I’m positive I’ve done everything necessary.

If you have any idea of what it could be, or need any further information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Hi and thanks for your report.

There is a large bug in the Garmin communication API, when the Garmin Connect Mobile app clogs up the communication between our app and the watch.
At the point where the miscommunication happens (ie. the communication starts happening only one-way), a message from the Garmin SDK starts popping up in the logs, saying “FAILURE_DURING_TRANSFER” and I’ve traced it down to a bug in the Garmin SDK, which has been confirmed by the Garmin developers. I’ve reported it here but it’s been almost five years during which they repeatedly confirmed it and said they’re looking into it, but didn’t fix it.
We’ve done every possible and impossible workaround we could think of to mitigate effects of this bug, but it still seems to show up time to time.

In that case, we’ve found out that force stopping and then starting the Garmin Connect Mobile app will refresh the comm queue and then it should work normally.
So that’s what I would recommend currently as a (slightly cumbersome) workaround. Force stop and restart the Garmin Connect Mobile app before sleep tracking.

Jiri

Ant there I was focusing my attention on my Samsung device!

Thanks for the explanation! I will start doing so.

Is there anything I can do to support your bug report to give it weight?

Thanks again

I’ve upvoted the ticket at the Garmin forum

@Donald_R_Lhoest big thanks… very much appreciated…