Polyphasic Sleep Schedules

From Anonymous on 2014/10/27 19:12:15 +0000

Options for segmented sleeping schedules:

From Joe Moore on 2017/10/03 00:19:53 +0000

The notifications only allow for ideal sleep to be set to one length. As a biphasic sleeper, I have ideal lengths of 4 1/2 and 1 1/2 hours, so when I am trying to do sleep tracking to show others how biphasic sleeping works, it tells me that my ideal 4 1/2 hours is not being met during my daytime sleeping hours, and says I'm not meeting requirements. So i try setting my ideal length to 6 hours (total per 24 hours) amd now my alarm is notifying me to go to sleep at 12:30 instead of 2. The problems are with notifs, ideal sleep settings, and sleep tracking.

2 Likes

From Anonymous on 2017/05/10 12:24:27 +0000

I feel like polyphasic bedtime notifications would be useful

3 Likes

From N on 2015/09/03 08:47:51 +0000

For me, the ability to set more than one "time to go to bed" notification is clutch. Everything else I can do myself.

2 Likes

From Anonymous on 2015/07/04 23:24:25 +0000

I would like to see this feature as well. Perhaps next to the sleep counters have names set to the hours so 2.5 hours would be uberman, and selecting that the application would intelligently set alarms with notifications spaced out through the day accordingly.

Example.

7am alarm for one hour and 20 min

11pm for 20 min

2pm for 20 min

6pm for 20 min

10 pm for 20 min

2am for 20 min

There also would be a slider that allows you how many hours inbetween the smaller naps to set. I.e. every 4 hours take a nap. You would also be allowed to set the longer nap start time I.e. 2am instead of 7am and all the other naps would automatticly agjust.

2 Likes

From Joss Terrell on 2015/03/02 06:06:15 +0000

At a basic level, I would also like to see the 'time to sleep' notifications updated so I can be alerted to go to sleep per sleep, rather than per night.
This would also fix the issue with the Twilight app where it is changing my screen way too early before my first sleep of my biphasic night.

2 Likes

From Lukas Mayer on 2015/02/18 18:30:24 +0000

I think it would be really useful if you added a polyphasic sleep addon/ app.

That addon should be able to support:

A plan which helps you to get in stage of acclimatization from a traditional monophasic sleep cyle into an polyphasic sleep by showing you when to sleep to have as little problems with the acclimatization.

A tool that analyzes your calendar and integrating the sleeping times which are necessary by the polyphasic sleep plan of the user and adds sleeping as calendar events.

This function should contain:

• A program which makes suggestions how to set calendar events and not to interfere the sleep plan. A possibility to differ in postponeable and not postponeable events might be useful in that.
  • In polyphasic sleeping there is a lot about getting a sufficent number of REM-phases. The program should watch that there are enough of them. It should be able to interfere in the plan if necessary by adding or extending a nap. (I think because of the difference of napping it would be more useful to make that an wearables-only-feature or to improve the REM-detection.)
  • You should be able to enumerate the places where it is possible to take a nap (like home/ work/ library/ etc.). So it can calculate wheater you can realize going to sleep by GPS-tracking and location taggs on the calendar.

You should be able to plan moving a 'backwards' or 'forwards' to a different plan plan (p.e. 'forwards' from a three-times-sleeping-Everyman-sleep to a four-times-sleeping-Everyman sleep or from Uberman back to Everyman); especially useful to plan if certain issues force you to change your sleep cycle.

I think that would be best in an app seperated but co-working App. I think in today's meritocracy there could presumably be a market for that.

I really appreciate your app for being a reliable partner in waking and sleep tracking and your steady effort to improve it. Thank you!

4 Likes

From Solveig on 2015/02/17 19:53:00 +0000

I don't know if this is the "problem", but to me, to sleep two times four hours is completely different from one big eight hour sleep, especially in deep sleep percentage. I guess it would be nice to be able to analyse this difference somehow. Just the sums for everything does not do this of course. I guess it is not the first and easiest thing to fix, but my dream would be to get advise like optimal sleep schedule with suggested number of sleep segments, just like I get advise on how many hours to sleep and when to go to bed.

1 Like

From Anonymous on 2014/10/28 03:49:43 +0000

Instead of making many alarms they should be grouped or have a single dynamic one depending on the chosen schedule. With monitoring to help determine the best position of blocks and naps.

P.S The app is SUPER MEGA FANTASTICAL! And thanks for all the awesome work.

1 Like

Has this been implemented or is there any progress/feedback on the issue?
If not, can I do anything to make that happen?

1 Like

Hello @manavortex, we have just recently implemented support for bedtime notifications for polyphasic sleepers. Instead of just having the global “Ideal daily sleep duration” -> now renamed to “Daily sleep duration goal” you can also override “Sleep duration goal” for each alarm. This way you can define your polyphasic schedule with alarms and always get notified when it is time to go to sleep…

2 Likes

Forgot to mention this is now availabel in the latest BETA version…

If you like to give it a try …
Please first join our BETA Testers group at:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/sleep-as-an-droid
That you can opt-into the BETA at the following address:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.urbandroid.sleep
or simply by visiting our Play Store listing and tapping “Join BETA”

Hey petr,
that sounds awesome, but I haven’t found any documentation how to use this. Can you give me a pointer? :slight_smile:

Hello, @lenka-urbandroid is preparing the doc… In general you for each phase of your polyphasic schedule you can setup and alarm and enter the target sleep goal for that phase and the app will play you a notification each time you should go to bed…

1 Like

Hello, the polyphasic sleeping bedtime notification and specific sleep target has been added to the documentation here: https://docs.sleep.urbandroid.org/alarms/polyphasic.html
The feature is currently available only in the BETA testing channel.

1 Like

Hi,

TLDR; Smart Wakeup after x amount of sleep cycles, with options to not sleep past alarm and option to allow sleep past alarm. Power nap for x amount of sleep cycles instead of a set time. Smart Wakeup needs to be more geared towards getting precious REM instead of simply deeper NREM.

My problem is less to do with bedtime notifications and more of a small feature request for polyphasic sleepers.

When you sleep like this it’s really REALLY important to keep track of your sleep phases and cycles. Some stats on that would be helpful too, although there are already so many charts its not too hard to put it together in my head.

It would be immensely helpful if the “Smart Wakeup” feature had an option to wakeup after one entire cycle, and the usual sleep past alarm by x time or never sleep past alarm option.

During training for this sort of sleep, you don’t want to allow sleeping past the allotted time. So the smart wake for power naps is no good. I have also found that smart wake doesnt seem to care if you reached REM or not. Even in the tracking it shows the smart wake kicked in before I even got a second of REM. In fact, the smart wake doesnt seem to even care if you hit normal deep sleep… But i need to test that further.

Even after you have successfully trained to sleep and wake almost on command, it would still be really handy to be able to say, “hey sleep as, Ive got just enough time for one of my usual sleep cycles” instead of trying to look at your history manually and guess your cycle length - as apparently the length can change!