Pair tracking - Sleep as Android

Go to Settings → Sleep tracking.

First, enable pair tracking by ticking the option Pair tracking.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://docs.sleep.urbandroid.org//sleep/pair_tracking.html

Hi does sleeping tracking work when in flight mode? Does it sync the next day when flight mode is turned off and both phones are back online?
Cheers

1 Like

I second this question. We’re always on flight mode during sleep, so this is important to us. Any comments?

It seems that WiFi is necessary for this feature to work since it auto-enables after I turned it off. I’d be fine with Bluetooth, but WiFi seems to be a bit much for me for two reasons: 1) it has bigger energy requirements; 2) it connects all applications to the internet, so notifications may start to come in - I don’t want that when I’m supposed to sleep.

@meridius we use Google nearby API which is basically a black box for us, on some phones or in some conditions they should be able to use BT only, but somthimes the API decides to use WiFi instead, hard to say how exactly this works…

1 Like

It definately seems to use Bluetooth. I just paired my phone with my wife’s and it wouldn’t pair for ages, until I enabled the Location permission on my wife’s phone (minute was already on) which is, of course, required for Bluetooth to pair

Pair tracking won’t set up with mine and my partner’s google phone. There doesn’t seem to be any trouble shooting apart from trying again. Anyone have any ideas?

Doesn’t work for me either. Same phones (pixel 4a), Bluetooth and wifi on, same network. What else am I missing?

Hi, the most common issue with pair tracking is Location permission (needed for BT scanning) missing on one of the phones.
But just from this description, it is very hard to tell, if this is the case - could you please use the Left ≡ menu → (?) Support → Report bug, ideally right after an attempt to pair the devices?

Hi I have a question about sleep tracking when my partner doesn’t bring his phone or use it for tracking sleep at night how do I keep my app from mixing up the tracking of my sleep and his sleeping???

1 Like

Hi I have a question :interrobang:
M I the only one freaking out of how much data this app is capable of detecting just using a simple hardware called microphone, so the question is, is it not too sophisticated at the software part??

Hi, the app does not use the mic for monitoring the movement in common sense, but it uses sonar technology - the speaker produces an ultrasound signal, and then the app analyzes how the signal changes when it comes back to the mic (https://sleep.urbandroid.org/introducing-sonar-as-sensor/).
For accelerometer tracking, the mic is only used for sound analysis (if enabled).
You can also read more about the data analysis at https://sleep.urbandroid.org/how-do-we-measure-your-dreams/.

Would it be possible to introduce the option of other logos for the pair tracking? The one currently provided is… well, heteronormative. I would personally prefer one that is simply the number 2, as that would probably be the least work on the development side of things and I believe it would positively impact user experience.