Is there a definitive list

of all supported monitoring devices, that also clearly indicates which measurements are supported with them?

I found various bits of disjointed information in the FAQ, but some of it seems unclear.
Or can someone give me a definitive answer as to whether either of these two devices is fully supported? For heartrate, motion/sleeping, and spo2?

1 Like

bump?

How about this one? Is it supported and compatible?

https://www.amazon.com/Xiaomi-Smart-Band-Breathing-Resistant/dp/B091G3FLL7/

Hello, there is a definitive list of supported devices, please check

We can only support devices with on open API, or in case of Mi Bands and Amazfit 3rd party devs have cracked the communication protocol to allow them to work with Sleep as Android…

The Amazon description isn’t completely clear but if this is the Mi Band 6 device, than this device is working with Sleep as Android, but as this only has closed communication protocol another app is needed with can read the protocol and at the same time talk to Sleep as Android though our Wearable API…

This includes Tools & Mi Band or Notify & Fitness…

The part that is unclear is which measurements are supported - there is no legend that I can find.
I see a heart symbol, I assume that is heart rate.
But what is the little wave symbol? Is that motion?
And what about spo2? There doesn’t seem to be a symbol for that? Is that not supported for any of those devices?

If I don’t yet have a device, and am looking to get one (preferably armband only, and preferably available on amazon) are there specific ones that are recommended and fully supported for all sensors/measurements?

2 Likes

I spent a while lurking here trying to figure out the same thing, i.e. whether there’s one device I can purchase that supports recording movement, HRV, and SpO2. The most definitive answers I found were in this long-ass thread attached to the Oximetry docs page. Here’s the latest I could piece together from there, other forum mentions, and docs:

• Any Wear OS device with the relevant sensors should theoretically support recording all three metrics simultaneously; BUT…
  • The only definitively tested Wear OS device with all necessary sensors is the TicWatch 3 Pro, which can NOT record all three metrics simultaneously due to a firmware quirk. (Apparently it alternates power between two of its sensors for some reason.)
  • Supported Garmin devices with relevant sensors, paired with the 3rd party add-on, should theoretically support recording all three metrics simultaneously; however…
  • No applicable Garmin devices have actually been tested - or at least nobody’s reported back about it.
  • Xiaomi/Mi & Huami/Amazfit devices do NOT support recording SpO2 and likely never will. (They run closed platforms; add-on devs managed to reverse-engineer their way to the raw LED sensor data, but have no clue how it’s used to calculate actual SpO2 numbers.)
  • Samsung devices do NOT support recording SpO2 currently but may in the future. (Apparently SpO2 data isn’t part of their public API but Samsung indicated they may open it up in the future.)
  • None of the remaining compatible devices have all requisite sensors.

Bear in mind I’m just another clueless end-user. Would be interested to know if @petr-urbandroid can verify my info or provide any updates.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your in-depth thoughtful response.

I am however disappointed in the information. And I understand how short-sighted manufacturer’s keeping their API/platforms “closed” is a major hurdle. But they want you to pay for THEIR app, and/or THEIR cloud service (or let you use it for free but sell your personal information to advertisers)

I am wondering what the best combination of devices would be to record as much as possible with SAA - preferably no “finger” devices because I cannot fathom how anything like that wouldn’t fall off while sleeping (I toss and turn quite a bit)

I have a Polar Verity sense, and it seems to work ok for heart rate and movement/sleep detection - I’ve only used it a couple days so far. And I have a “Xiaomi Mi Smart Band 6” band on the way I had hoped I could use for SpO2 measuring. (Since I already paid for it, I will still try it, but given your fairly confident assertion it won’t work, without much hope.)

1 Like

There’s some discussion from other users about various combinations that did/didn’t work for them beneath the post I linked earlier (oximetry docs thread). Seems like people had the best luck using one device just for oximetry, and another for HRV + actigraphy. So you could probably use either of your wrist bands and a dedicated oximeter, BerryMed being the only “officially supported” one but apparently other users had luck with the Go2Sleep ring.

I actually have a BerryMed oximeter that I bought a couple years ago, and haven’t used in nearly as long. It’s… fine. I can confirm it worked well right out of the box; but it’s just bulky enough that it feels like a hassle to strap on every night.

So personally I’m waiting for a wearable confirmed to record all three metrics. Multiple wearables might work fine for another person - I just know myself well enough not to assign much responsibility to my brain when it’s in close proximity to my pillow… would likely give up within a week trying to keep track of multiple wearable devices.

1 Like

Ok the MIBand 6 that I had ordered was delayed by Amazon, and I just decided to cancel it. So I’m looking again.

Can you recommend any specific device that is known to work with SAA for O2 monitoring (while using the Polar band for HR and movement) that is either a band or a ring, and not some big bulky thing that would just get knocked off when I toss and turn in my sleep (like the one pictured in the FAQ would)?

Preferably one that is available on Amazon, and not super expensive (say max around $100ish?)

Or does this simply not exist?

@DCmega yes arrow is actigraphy… in fact SPO2 integration is relatively new and we do not even know which devices are supported - we rely here on user feedback as we do not have all the devices on our desks and SPO2 needs to be implemented one by one…

There is a thread why we do not have SPO2 for Amazfit and Mi Bands yet… - because we only have raw LED light data and we were not yet able to calculate good looking SPO2 from that…

In general SPO2 is supported on selected Wear OS device - some TicWatch devices and some Fossil watches… if users want support they need to provide us with logs first as SPO2 sensors are not standard on Wear OS so we need to explicitedly add support for each device. At the moment we do not have SPO2 on Galaxy Watch 4 as Samsung did protect access to SPO2 sensors with their system only permission.

We should also have some SPO2 support for Garmin, but we do not have a Garmin SPO2 enabled device and there isn’t enough user feedback to claim that for sure - so this is now implemented only blindly…

One device that supports actigraphy, HRV and SPO2 is TicWatch 3 Pro which I’m using now, but unfortunately not at the same time, you have to choose SPO2 or HRV for each session as the sensor is switching from red LEDs to green LEDs and is not able to provide both at the same time.

@SpiffyMcPerson many thanks for the summary - I think it is pretty close, please just check my answer above…

We will update the docs with the findings in this thread, this is unfortunately work in progress, there is very little standards and every device needs special implementation :frowning:

1 Like

Any tips on how to search for “Wear OS” devices on Amazon? And given the fact that “wear” and “wearable” are somewhat generic terms (as well as the “fuzziness” of Amazon’s search) how, given a particular device, to confirm that it IS in fact a “Wear OS” device?

Is there any specific device that you suspect could have support for SPO2 monitoring, that you cannot know because you do not have one, that I could buy, and provide you whatever information is needed (debugging logs, etc) to help enable such support? (Again, preferably available on Amazon, preferably something in a compact band or ring form, and preferably no more than about $100) ?

I looked at the Ticwatch 3 Pro - but it comes in around $300 which is far beyond reasonable to me.

1 Like

@DCmega I think at the moment you will anyway find good Wear OS watches just from MobVoi - TicWatch or Fossil… also everything is transitioning to Wear OS 3.0 … so be careful if you get an update if you buy now…

At the moment we try to search for the SPO2 sensor in a more clever way - looking for SPO2 in the description of the sensor, so theoretically some devcies we have not tested this on may work, but we really don’t know…

1 Like

Hrm. I cannot seem to find any listing on Amazon for “MobVoi” “TicWatch” or “Fossil” that is anywhere near my price range. And even what does come up without the price filter is all big round watches - are there no slim “bands” that fit in this category?

And I still cannot figure out how to tell whether any given device IS or is NOT a “Wear OS” device. Any search results on tons of listings with all sorts of watches, none of which seem to give any reliable clue as to whether it is specifically “Wear OS” or whether it is some proprietary or knockoff thing.

1 Like

Also, I am uncertain whether your post is suggesting I do want an update to 3.0, or if its something that’s best to avoid for now?

1 Like

@DCmega sorry I cannot predict this :)… I think Google is no going to invest anything into Wear OS 2.0 any more - as it seems now… so IMHO it is better to wait for 3.0, but at the moment there isn’t any Wear 3.0 watch which we could use HRV and SPO2 on…

1 Like

Is there anyone who can confirm (who successfully uses!) SAA with MI Band 5 or Mi Band 6?
I tried all known methods with Mi Band 6 (with Notify, with Tools apps), no success. In SAA I can select Mi Band 6 from wearables but after selecting it, in the test phase Mi Band 6 doesn’t vibrate, only the phone. Instead, SAA starts showing the sensor graph for eternity (till I cancel it). I tried with 2 phones.
(I have a Mi Band 2, that works perfectly with SAA on the same phone!)

I’m also curious is there anyone who successfully uses SAA with Mi Band 5?

Many thanks for any response!