Integration with Withings Sleep Tracking Mat?

Maybe so it can detect heart rate without wearing a smartwatch and to dismiss alarms when you get out of bed. (Take weight of the oressure mat)

Hello ,

unfortunately in general Withings do not provide the required integration options. The device needs to have an API that grants access to adhoc sensor data. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe this device does not have such API.

Anyway if there is anyone willing to reverse engineer the BT protocol and do some integration, Sleep as Android has an open API so anyone can integrate any device with Sleep as Android although we do not have the resource to go this way. Please check our doc on our wearable API here:

Currently we have integrated with Android Wear devices, Pebble, Gear, Garmin and a few others. You can watch our current integration progress here:

I signed up for the forum to request this as well. From the withings developer site it looks like they require a contract to have access to more information in their API. That’s too bad.

I did find a work around using withings IFTTT integration and tasker integration in Sleep As Android. To dismiss my alarm as I get out of bed. However this requires you to turn any maths captcha off and therefore u can also easily dismiss your alarm from your phone so you would need to have your phone on the other side of the room. It would be nice if you could dismiss sleep as Android alarms via tasker bypassing any captcha.

If I understand Withings developer portal correctly, they provide an API that works through the Withings cloud, i.e. you can’t get the raw sensor data. I suppose this is not good enough?
Perhaps you could inquire with them, at least? I found this link on their developer portal, you fill out the form and they get back to you with recommendations on which integration option to use.

Hello @Gene_Pavlovsky, yes exactly, rather than integrating with all the different accgregated cloud services which is out of our powers we integrate with the main stream services such as Google Fit, Samsung Heatch, Health Connect and leave it to the individual fragmented vendors to integrate with these as well… but to be able to integrate with a particular device we need access to the device raw sensors during the night so that we can apply our algorithms such as smart wake up, rem detection, etc…

Hi Petr,

Yes, it makes sense. It looks like many of these device manufacturers don’t provide access to the raw accelerometer data. What would it take for your to find a manufacturer that would create a basic wristband made specifically for sleep tracking, with your own firmware? Ideally it would have an accelerometer, HR and pulse ox sensors. It doesn’t even need to have a screen, just a battery level indicator maybe. You could then sell such devices.

Cheers
Gene

Yes, the industry i snot in a good shape, you would expect vendors would like to make free open devices to encourage integrations, but the opposite is true… in many cases they even have an BTLE API but they only make it available as part of their business model to research and othe use-cases where you need to wither pay a big amount to get access for a year or agree to buy usually thousands of devices… it is sick :frowning:

It’s sad. But in this age people are making amazing things in the home lab, have you looked into developing your own wristband sleep tracker, by yourself or in partnership with electronics enthusiasts / a small electronics company?

It doesn’t have to be super compact, slick, waterproof etc, like the various fitness trackers. It just has to be convenient enough to be used as a sleep tracker. Here’s some article I found that details building a similar device: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2468067222000542

Something like this would just has to be developed a bit further to be a marketable product that you could sell. There are various integrated HRM/SpO2 sensor ICs on the market, e.g. some can be seen here: Heart Rate/Blood Oxygen - HRM/SpO2 Capteurs biométriques – Mouser Luxembourg

The device would need a battery, battery charging / management circuit, a BLE-capable microcontroller, and a sensor such as this one: https://www.mouser.lu/datasheet/2/609/MAX30102-3128143.pdf

Making it in a small enough package to be comfortable to wear during sleep would be a bit of a challenge, but still seems like something doable?

In fact we have developed several devices in cooperation with Happy Electronics, a lucid dreaming sleep mask, but probably more importantly the Sleep Phaser… we believe in contact less tracking like our Sonar feature… with Sleep Phaser you do not need to wear anything on your body and it even tracks your resirations, you just point the phaser toward your body… see https://sleepphaser.urbandroid.org/

I’m aware of these products, however I’ve been wary to buy one because of user reviews like this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/SleepAsAndroid/comments/zdh8k8/comment/j15dvu0/

Did Happy Electronics fix their quality control and customer support issues?