Integration with Google Assistant

Hi!

I noticed that the app has ‘App Actions’ enabled, which let’s you create a widget that directly sends you to ‘sleep tracking’ or other parts of the app.

I’m trying to have the Google Assistant be able to start the app (to integrate ‘start sleep tracking’ into a routine, etc), but I’m not finding how to actually ask the assistant to do that.

From my understanding, that’s why App Actions exist, but I can’t manage to do it. Do you know if it’s possible to ask the Assistant to start/stop sleep tracking? If it’s not possible, it would be great if it was possible, because this would make using the app completely seamless for people who use the Assistant.

Okay, so I’ve got this working now. End result: “Hey Google, start sleep tracking.” = sleep tracking starts in SaA. “Hey Google, end sleep tracking.” = sleep tracking stops in SaA
Demo here:

I think there are several ways to do it, but this is how I did it:
IFTTT (google assistant, IF simple phrase “start sleep tracking” THEN webhook URL created by Join) --> Join (join API) --> Tasker profile (Join plugin to trigger event, task=SaA plugin to start sleep tracking)

You should include task-specific text in the URL that can specified when creating the URL with Join API. This same text will be used to trigger the event in Tasker.

Then make a second IFTTT applet to end sleep tracking and second Tasker profile (again using join) exactly as before to end sleep tracking.

I know it doesn’t look so straightforward, but the end result is perfect, and once it’s done, it’s done.

I’ve already incorporated both commands into my “Hey Google, good night,” and “Hey Google good morning,” routines.

Of course, it should be possible to use Alexa in exactly the same way using the an equivalent IFTTT applet meant for Alexa instead of the Google Assistant.

Good luck!

Ed Vroman

1 Like