How to change the default alarm or timer app for Google Assistant

In an earlier Version of Android I could say:

ok, google wecke mich um 7 Uhr (german)
ok, google wake me up at 7 o’clock(english)

It started the sleep as android app and created the alarm for the next day.
But when I do it now it creates the alarm in in the stock android app (Uhr in german android).

Is there any way to change the standard alarm app or to restore the function that it does work with the assistand again ?

Apparently, it does do this. I just said “OK GOOGLE, set an alarm for 5 minutes from now.”

It did not use the stock app. It did not I use Gentle Alarm.
It DID use “Sleep As Android.” I await the alarm in less than two minutes.

Maybe this is just an issue of setting the default app for handling alarms on the phone?

If the default alarm handler is the stock Clock app, please go to your System settings > Apps > Clock > Open as default > Clear default settings (maybe some of those options are called a little differently but it should be there somewhere).

When you next try to set up the alarm, the system/Assistant should ask you which app would you like to use for that.

1 Like

It worked! It played my alarm music and everything.

Best,
Robin
@rjm_robin

1 Like

I can’t click anything in this menu.

Any ideas @petr-urbandroid?

in the sleep as android settings it looks like this:

Right, I think I got it.

Tell Google Assistant to “set an alarm”, and it should respond with a dialogue:

You would have a Clock icon instead of the Sleep Android icon. Tap on that icon and you should be able to choose the app to set the alarm with. This should also set the default for the next time.

1 Like

That worked. Thank you very much.

2 Likes

Just in case anyone will face similar issue with Timer :slight_smile:

1. Ask Google Assistant to set a timer
  2. It will come up with a timer and the Sleep as Android icon
  3. Tap the icon and select the default Android Clock app
  4. Now you have to tap the time, select the duration of the alarm and tap confirm.
  5. Once you’ve done that, it remembers this setting for the future.

Please, do no not skip the step 4 - it won’t remember the change for the future.

with a help of our user Tiuri - thank you very much!

2 Likes

Yes, it is a good application.

Does anyone know how to get this to work as of September 2020? Neither the reset defaults, set an alarm with no time and change it there, or the set a timer with no time and change methods work. The latter two just don’t have that option anymore for some reason and I’m not sur what else to try.

1 Like

OCT 2020 and the “okay google set alarm” without a time allowed me to tap the app icon in the dialogue just like above. Sorry it doesn’t help since you said you already tried but it worked for me. Maybe some how reinstall the assistant?

Unfortunately 5his no longer seems to work in android 12 on pixel 6. No matter what, assistant opens the clock app instead and the icon is no longer clickable.

Any ideas what to do?

1 Like

Yeah, as of 2023, saying “Hey or OK Google” and “Set Alarm or Timer” without saying a time, no longer gives you an option to change the default app. Samsung Clock is set permanently it seems…

1 Like

The only way I figured out how to make this work on my Pixel 7P was by disabling the default clock app all together (Apps–>Clock–>Disable button at top). I suppose you do lose some functionality such as the stop watch, but I’m sure there’s a replacement app out there if you really need that.