Does sleep tracking while charging effects the battery life?

How does sleep tracking while charging the phone at night effects battery life? I remember reading more than a few times that using your phone while charging can be very bad for the battery life. Since Sleep as Android can use up to 30% of the battery during the night, that would be considered as heavy usage by a single app. I’m a little concerned because these days we can’t remove the battery and buy a new one if the battery weakens so something like that can render a 1000$ phone unusable after a while. Or am I mistaken? Please, advise!

1 Like

Anybody?

This has been a concern of mine as well. I’m pretty sure the newer phones especially the Samsung phones have some sort of overcharge protection. But I also heard that once a phones battery drops below around 75 percent it count as a charge cycle when it’s charged from that point. Batteries have only so many charge cycles. I could be wrong so I’d do some more research. I have an S20 that I charge at night and I’m not always awake to unplug it. when I do unplug it, it’s cold to the touch

I’m more concerned with the fact Sleep as Android can use up to 30% of the battery during the night so there’s actually a heavy use of the phone while it’s charging. I just want to know if this has any unwanted effect on the battery life. Since the complete silence from the support I can make my own conclusions.

Hello Tomasz,
So far, we have no reports on battery damages or lower battery capacity, even from long-term users (using the app several years on the same device daily).
“Battery memory” is no longer an issue on lithium-ion batteries, in fact partial charging should work better for them.
The reason why manufacturers do not recommend using the phone while charging is overheating - which is usually caused more by screen on while charging (which does not happen during sleep tracking). When you watch videos or play game, the battery usage can be enormous - the screen rendering in high frequency, the CPU, GPU, and audio…
Other thing with bad influence o battery life is overcharging, but newer phones has mechanisms to prevent this.

So if you are not experiencing battery overheat, your battery should be fine, 30% per average 8 hours of sleep tracking is below 4% per hour - that should not cause heating of battery at all.

If you wish to further lower the battery consumption during tracking, you can disable sound detection and sound recording, and use phone’s accelerometer only. For absolutely minimal battery consumption without loosing the smart alarm, you can set automatic tracking start on smart period (the tracking start 45 min prior to smart period) - with default 30 min long smart period, that would be 1 hour and 15 min max of sleep tracking, so approximately 6% of battery per one night.

Thank you! That’s all I wanted to know.