Calibrating sonar sensitivity — what's a good setting?

Simple question, but maybe the answer is complex: how do you decide what sensitivity level to set?

Maybe more specifically: what does the response look like when it’s over-sensitive or under-sensitive?

Hello @kma, in general with more sensitivity (or signal strength as it is named in the app) there is a changfe you get long periods of breath rate captured… but for movement tracking it will IMHO work well even with lower sensitivity and this means less volume and also less pressure on battery…

But in general this is all device specific so you need to test it on your device…

Hope that helps…

But I want to know what is an acceptable db level to be detected during the sonar test?

Also, by what means should we compare the results between testing different sensitivity levels? Like, how does one determine which sensitivity level is “more accurate” ?

You cannot measure decibels on a device as you would need first calibrate it to a decibel meter…

Also there is no rule of thumb here. Everything is highly device specific… in general… signal strength is system volume level on the media stream - volume of the ultrasonic signal… more means stronger signal and thus usually higher sensitivity of Sonar… but also higher battery use…

I guess on some devices having it too high may ad some artifacts which may also decrease sensitivity of sonar or break breath detection - but i did not see this in practice…

I expect on most devices you will get comparable results with signal strength over 70% for movement… and it really just matters if you also want to have breath rates - then you probably need to fine tune and always check in the morning if you get the breath rate line and what portion of the night…

Hope that helps at least a bit

Very! Thank you. I’m a little confused, however. I’ve been using the sonar sensor for months now, and I have never seen a breathing rate blue line in any of the following morning results. I pored over the settings, and the only breath rate options appear to be limited to using an external oximeter - where do I find the settings to enable breathing rate using the sonar sensor?

I am using a wearable (Galaxy Watch3 with companion app) - so does this disable the breath rate detection while using sonar?

You will probably find that your sonar has never been used as your wearable (galaxy watch) overrides sonar, accelerometer and light phaser movement detection functions… Disabling your wearable would re-enable sonar.

I initially had no breath rate measurements at all. Raising the sensitivity brought in a few occasional periods of measurement. Reducing the sensitivity did better, so I now have maybe 50% coverage through the night. It isn’t obvious to me yet which way I should adjust it next. But it looks like tinkering is worthwhile — perhaps you’ll crack the pattern, at least for your own phone and sleeping environment.

1 Like

Ah, gotcha, thank you!