Alarm does not vibrate WearOs watch when in bedtime mode

When my watch is set to bedtime mode, none of the alarms for Sleep as Android vibrate the watch, even though opening the watch will show that the alarm is going off, the watch sleep tracking is working, and the phone will vibrate since I have it set to vibrate both. This is specific to bedtime mode it seems, maybe priority issues? When bedtime mode is off, the watch will vibrate with alarms. A temporary workaround is to put the watch into theatre mode (turns off screen and screen wake gestures), and turn on do not disturb, but the alarms should be able to come through in bedtime mode. This is on google pixel watch and Sleep as Android version 20220830

5 Likes

I’m having the same issue with my Pixel Watch. I have the app set to vibrate on the watch from start, and to only sound the alarm after a minute. Neither happens. I can snooze and dismiss the alarm from the watch, but only after the alarm sounding from the phone has woken me.

(Sleep also seems to be generating duplicate entries in Fit, with only one showing full HR data, but on that count I suspect Health Connect shenanigans. Going to toggle off Fit tonight and see if it shows up in Fit just the once.)

I still have the same issue on latest beta and my pixels watch. Has anyone found a solution to this yet?

Okay I did some more “testing” on this and noticed that:

1. Alarms go through correctly in theater mode, downside with this mode is that it doesn’t let through calls from starred contacts
  2. Alarms go through fine in DND mode, downside to this mode is obvious -> screen behaviour isn’t changed

I also tried another smart alarm clock, “Wake up well”, and experience the same issue there. So the question is if there is some more permission/rule that is needed or if this is a bug on the watch.

@siwan many thanks for the further findings… I think Google would call this probably a feature not a bug I guess… they simply block the vibrator service when in bedtime mode… I do not this we can do something about this unless theer would be an API to control the bedtime mode which I think there isn’t… otherwise yes I can only recommend to rely on theater mode

Thanks for replying!

Ah that is too bad, feels like something apps should be allowed to control but who knows how Google thinks…

Will have to stick to theater mode for now (can’t schedule bedtime mode on the pixel watch anyways - another nice “feature”) and hope this gets enabled sometime in the future…

@petr-urbandroid I’m also experiencing the issue with bedtime mode not vibrating.

Here you can see that they built an app which not only syncs dnd mode between phone and watch but also triggers changes in bedtime mode on the watch based in phone settings.

So it seems like there is an api for bedtime mode.

Can you make use of it? Would be very nice to see the bedtime be disabled when the alarm starts so that the watch vibrates.

Appreciate an answer!

Hello @Tobi1 … I have looked here https://github.com/rhaeus/dnd-sync/blob/master/wear/src/main/java/de/rhaeus/dndsync/DNDSyncAccessService.java and in fact you cannot call this an API… what this code is doing is they use Accessibility service to swipe down the quick settings menu a simulate a tap on the Bedtime mode tile… this is super hacky I think, and very hard to maintain as it would only work a particular device if the manufacturer does not decided to change the tile position… no sure if this is the way to go forward here :(…