Standalone full support wearables

I’m looking for stand-alone implementation of Sleep as Android on wearables supporting accelerometers, heart rate monitoring and/or other sensors, because I don’t want to sleep every night with Bluetooth on around my head. I’m also curious about syncing the data on such standalone devices, how does it sync with SAA main app on main mobile device?

So in general this is what I need:

- supported standalone wearable(s) running Android (or not) with HR monitoring and other sensors
- no constant Bluetooth connection needed while sleeping, only when syncing
- syncing of data with main SAA app on mobile phone

Please recommend any device(s) with such capabilities.

Im also interested in these feature on wear os, maybe an easy implementation should be to record the accellerometer data and what is needed on the smartwatch and then processing them on the phone when they are connected.

1 Like

I also would like this.

1 Like

I’m just starting to look into this as well, and I have some early input for you. Choose an Android standalone smartwatch with a screen resolution of at least 400X400 pixels (most AMOLED Android watches use this as standard). Lower resolution screens won’t allow the setting of the alarms as the rotating circle setting is half off the screen and the page doesn’t scroll.

The app does fully load in a watch with at least 1GB RAM and 16GB storage, but I don’t know fully about the interface to the sensors. I’m pretty sure accelerator connects. but heart rate sensor integration is usually pretty tricky for 3rd party apps. If there’s interest, I’ll report back what I find.

Any particular Android watches you want me to try? Most are big and bulky for sleeping, but the ones with removable bands are a bit more flexible in bed than the ones with fixed bands with antennas in them. Right now I’m looking at installing SAA in Android 5.1 watch and a relatively new Android 7.1.1 watch. If necessary because of Android permission issues and access to sensors, I may need to stretch back and try an Android 4.4 watch, but I hope that won’t be necessary.

FYI, I am having some good results so far with the Galaxy Watch Active (my favorite because it is so small) and the Gear S3, both Tizen OS from Samsung. The app’s not on the watches, of course, but I can get the phone to trigger the vibration via Bluetooth on each of these watches during REM and am really starting to remember my dreams better in the morning as a result of the heightened awareness that happens when the trigger goes off during the dream.

As for Android watches, preliminary testing shows severe battery drain, so that could be an issue. I may need to work with one that has 600mAh or higher. Probably start with the Kospet Hope or Hope Lite.

3 Likes

Ive tried sleep as android on android 7.1.1. Smartwatch and it works, it uses for me 37% of battery its a big amount of battery but acceptable, the major problem is the interface that on the watch is not always visible.

What watch is that?

Just finished reading news about new Polar devices with open API that will be fully supported by Sleep as Android (Polar H7, H10, OH1). Will these devices be able to record sleep data offline (without constant bluetooth connectivity) during the night?

@Hypnos sorry no… those devices have Bluetooth services for the various sensor data they can provide and the app needs to periodically poll those data from the device… so in fact Polar device, the Mi Band or all the devices which we need to appreach through BT need a contact connectivity to the phone…

On devices where we are able to run an app on the watch like WearOS, Galaxy Watches, Garmin etc… in this case we aggregate the data on the watch and only exchange very small messages once in every few minutes…

I’ve ran sleep as android on 2 different full android smartwatches; a Kospet Prime running android 7.1.1 and a Rogbid Brave Pro ( LEMFO LEM-14) running android 10.7. It worked well on both. Only saw two drawbacks. 1) battery drain. used anywhere from 30 to 55% of the charge depending on if recordings were set. 2) It doesn’t recognize the built in heart rate sensor for the full android watches.