Sleep tracking with watch only

From Kiron on 2016/06/16 07:29:13 +0000

It should be possible to run sleep tracking on your watch (Android Wear) without needing your phone to be active at the same time.
Sleep tracking takes a decent amount of battery from both the watch and phone, so it would be cool if I could track my sleep without leaving my phone plugged in overnight.

After the tracking is complete, the watch could send the sleeping data to your phone. Audio recordings could be temporarily stored until sending them to the phone in the morning as well.

My guess is that it would be a lot more practical to develop this type of feature with Android Wear 2.0 which is centred around watch independence. A nice sleep tracking UI to go with this would also be awesome.

Copied from original feature request: http://urbandroid.uservoice.com/forums/264867-sleep-as-android/suggestions/14828115-sleep-tracking-with-watch-only

From Anonymous on 2017/05/11 20:46:25 +0000

I don't get why it should be more power consuming than using Bluetooth for constant transfer. I'm aware that the algorithms take a lot of energy, but I guess this idea post is only about capturing the raw data (gyro sens, sound, heart rateā€¦) without (possible harmful?)Bluetooth enabled. but that measurements are done anyway - postprocessing / evaluation should be done afterwards, on the phone (with reasonable cpu/memory). That would be great and is actually done by others (e.g.Polar watches with iPhone)

From Dave on 2017/01/21 00:22:20 +0000

Sleep as Android says it would drain the battery unless Google implements this into Android Wear itself.

We can ask Google to do this in Android Wear's menu 'Help & feedback'.

Let's flood Google with this request :slight_smile: